• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor in the reston virginia area?

scot

Reaction score
Anyone know a very good tailor in the Reston/Dulles/Sterling/Chantilly area? I can go to georgetown, but that is extremely inconvenient...

I just need some sportcoats sleeves shortened a bit and maybe a bit of work on the middle, as one sportcoat seems to be designed for somone with a bit more heft around the middle than I have
smile.gif

The only caveat is that I want to go to someone who will give advice, but still do what I say if I disagree. So no drycleaners that get it "close" but don't really care and farm the work out.

noVA99

Reaction score
closest I have come to your area is Tysons.....Kims, located 3rd level in Tysons II. He makes custom suits and shirts as well. I like his wok on my suit alterations (suit jacket altered, typical hem work, etc. as well as slimming up my dress shirts).

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noVA99
closest I have come to your area is Tysons.....Kims, located 3rd level in Tysons II. He makes custom suits and shirts as well. I like his wok on my suit alterations (suit jacket altered, typical hem work, etc. as well as slimming up my dress shirts).

Ugh, he did horrible work for me when I tried him. Ended up using the tailor in Tyson's I rght by the entrance to Bloomingdales for the basic stuff, and of course Field's in Georgetown for anything important.

noVA99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Ugh, he did horrible work for me when I tried him. Ended up using the tailor in Tyson's I rght by the entrance to Bloomingdales for the basic stuff, and of course Field's in Georgetown for anything important.

really?? Hmmm, dunno then. The most extensive work he had done for me was to take out a Hickey Freeman suit jacket that was in my size but was a little snug so he let it out a bit. Other than that, he did fine with slimming up my dress shirts and the simple stuff like hem and waist alterations. Grrr, sorry to hear about your experience. From my experience, I have used Italian, Turkish, Argentinian, and Korean tailors and all are a mixed bag...there were ones that were good and others that were ****.

Another good one that I used is at the Saks men's store in Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights. She is Italian, I think Filomena (??) is her name. She had to re-do a botched job on trimming up a suit jacket for me. But she is out of the way for me to drive there (I'm in Fairfax).

noVA99

Reaction score
got a question: What is this "Fields" place in G-town? What are their rates like? I pay about $15 for hemming, $20 for slimming up a dress shirt, other suit jacket alterations vary (I think I paid around $45 to $50 to have a suit jacket let out and the sleeves shortened a bit).

Thanks.

kryn13

Reaction score
Field's English Tailors in Georgetown. He's very good. Take him things you need to have done correctly. If it's solely price you're concerned about, he's not your guy.

bobbers

Reaction score
Mr. Field in is excellent to work with. He does a quality job but is expensive compared to others though. I had jacket sleeves shortened and pants hemmed/cuffed, it came to about $80 total. Also, the turnaround time is on the longer side. I think it took 2-3 weeks.

devin

Reaction score
Yeah, the guy on the third floor (Mr. Sun's isnt it?) of Tyson's II is so-so in my opinion. Great turnaround time, reasonable price, decent job on some hems/waists, but he did a pretty lazy job (IMO) on the lining of several jackets (had them let out a bit to fit my gut). And he is not particularly open to discussion with the customer; I wanted one pair of pants with no/minimal break and he wouldn't have it. The language barrier doesn't help in this situation.

Caveat: I'm a young guy (and look it I guess), so I tend to give off some sort of "noob" aura. He's not rude, just not very diplomatic.

scot

Reaction score
Guys, please let's focus on the reston area. I understand that Mr Field is great, but the location is not, at lest not for me.

Tysons is "ok" but based on above I think I need more data before I trust my clothing to them.

So lets try this again, keeping the focus on the far out reston/herndon suburbs, who can cut the mustard? Maybe not Mr Field in level but 90-95% as good. Cost is NOT the issue.

devin

Reaction score
Scot, you may be asking for something that doesn't exist. The reason that Field's comes up all the time is because you're talking to a limited number of people (those on this Forum in the NoVA/DC/MD area) and asking for a very specific thing (a tailor who does quality work [90-95% as good as Field's], who provides good customer service by partnering with the client, and who operates in the remote suburb hell of Reston/Herndon).

Here's another name pulled from a similar thread (which might be harder to find, as you can't search for D.C.):

"Mr. Lee
Best Custom Tailors
9126 Lee Highway
Fairfax, Virginia

Mr. Lee splits his time between the Fairfax shop and a Wheaton, Maryland location."

Not exactly close either, unfortunately. Every D.C. tailor thread pretty much resolves to "Field's if you care and want it done right, XYZ only for simple stuff."

But I feel your pain, I live in Reston and making my way to Georgetown to drop off suits is out of the question during the week.

JD to you

Reaction score
I have heard good things about Christopher Dao at the Joe Banks in Reston Town Center. Nice guy; excellent & very helpful alterations tailor.

Chris no showed me when I went to drop off a suit there so I used the other tailor whop was there when I went. He semmed to have done a good job. But call and ask for Chris if you can get him.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I miss Fairfax....

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by devin
Not exactly close either, unfortunately. Every D.C. tailor thread pretty much resolves to "Field's if you care and want it done right, XYZ only for simple stuff."

Basically, this is the only answer. I go to Field's for all of my suits, jackets and trousers, and go to a cheap guy for fixing jeans and slimming $30-50 knock-around shirts.

which reminds me, i'll probably have to head to georgetown soon. got a radcliffe model oxxford that needs to be altered.

nickysam

Reaction score
Mr. Sunder Daswani, founder of The Tailored Man and his brother Kishore Daswani, have expanded to over 10,000 clients all over North America, from Montreal to San.They take your measurements, photographs and style specifications and transmit to their tailors in Hong Kong.

----------------
nickysam

Virginia Drug Treatment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads