• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor in Philadelphia needed

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Have had great experiences with Ventresca in Doylestown (disclaimer) during book research and tour. But they are not American trad...

Thanks for the info, Toggery.

humrepair

Reaction score
I've been very satisfied with the clothing Frank Ventresca in Jenkintown has made for me.He has also done alterations on clothing I purchased elsewhere.
Neil

jekv12

Reaction score
I think Englunds has brached out a bit beyond prep/trad.

Interestingly, each of the towns on the Main Line seems to have its own custom tailor/shirtmaker, most in a storefront on Lancaster Avenue. One of these days I'll have to visit them all.

Shirtmaven, I think PBM was the last of the group you mentioned to close its doors, maybe 5 years ago. Interestingly, there seems to be a PBM warehouse in the far Northeast, who knows what it carries.

There's a good shirtmaker in the Northeast? Please, if you don't mind sharing...

ChuckE

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I looked up Centofanti after Renault posted the info; and yes they are in the suburbs. Two posts referred to Bresch but I don't know how to look up all of his recommendations. I live 2 blocks from Rich Chae; but if there is a language and culture barrier, that would not be good. My old tailor in Tampa would also give me ideas on expanding my wardrobe. I don't know how to find that here; but I certainly can't get that from someone with a language barrier. I heard some of the responses looking at the old times; but I will acknowledge that it is sad that in the 5th largest city in US, I have to go to the suburbs to find a good tailor. I guess I'll go to Centofanti.

Chuck

PS are there ways for find someone to give guidance on growing a wardrobe? Thanks

Righty

Reaction score
I just bought a D&G suit from La Rouge in Marlton, NJ. They use the tailor at the Versace in King of Prussia. I'll let you know how it turns out

Matt

jekv12

Reaction score
I will acknowledge that it is sad that in the 5th largest city in US, I have to go to the suburbs to find a good tailor. I guess I'll go to Centofanti.
Well, still in Philadelphia is Ernesto's on 5th Street, just a bit south of South street. There are a few others along south 5th street as well, but I don't have any personal experience with them. http://www.ernestotailoring.com/ Again, not sure if they would do alterations, but it's worth a phone call. They do talk about making suggestions for your wardrobe, but given their primary business is making tailored clothing, that's no surprise.

ChuckE

Reaction score
I went to Ernesto's. They can make a suit from scratch; they will do basic alterations, but they would not recut a pair of pants; they were afraid to do it. I left with suits in hand.

I took my suits to Chae's on 15th street. Ironically, this also happens to be within a block of where I live.

Thanks again.

Chuck

EricM1229

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChuckE
I went to Ernesto's. They can make a suit from scratch; they will do basic alterations, but they would not recut a pair of pants; they were afraid to do it. I left with suits in hand.

I took my suits to Chae's on 15th street. Ironically, this also happens to be within a block of where I live.

Thanks again.

Chuck

HI Chuck:

How was Chae's alterations for you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads