• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Syncing iPhone with iPad

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't really know where to put this, or ask so here it is...

I want to give my old iPhone to my girlfriend. I erased the thing completely, but it is still synced with my phone number so it receives my text messages and such. Currently, my girlfriend has an iPad on my Verizon account, but it gets all of her text messages sent to it. How do I disassociate my number with my old iPhone and allow it to get her messages like her iPad does?

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it receive your text messages or iMessages? It shouldn't be receiving your text messages since wireless carriers, att at least, only allow one active SIM card per phone number. If it's receiving your iMessages then you need to sign out of iCloud on that phone. You should have manually signed out before erasing the phone because iirc going to settings -> erase all doesn't actually sign you out of iCloud.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I signed out of iCloud and signed in with her account, but it still won't receive and send text messages from her account like it does from the iPad.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't know what to do beyond that then. If the text settings are all set up correctly and it still doesn't work maybe try to restore or even reset the phone again.

I feel like this is something that can be resolved by someone at the Apple store in 20 minutes though. I would just make an appointment and let them figure it out.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store and they told me to sign into iCloud under the new user name, but it didn't work and they shrugged.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What text settings should I be looking for? Also, she wants to be able to send and receive texts only via wifi while the phone is in airplane mode (she's spending a lot of time overseas).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't believe that she can just update settings on the phone to receive her texts. She needs to switch the phone to her number and she will be able to receive messages.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1 sec...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't believe that she can just update settings on the phone to receive her texts. She needs to switch the phone to her number and she will be able to receive messages.

But how is it she is getting her text messages on her iPad? FWIW, the texts you get from her come up as her email, not a phone number.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But how is it she is getting her text messages on her iPad? FWIW, the texts you get from her come up as her email, not a phone number.

So her iPad is on your Verizon account meaning your phone number or you just purchased it and it is linked to your Verizon general account?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just my account in general, not linked to any of my personal devices or phone numbers (I just pay for it to be able to share my data plan). It gets her text messages though.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What text settings should I be looking for? Also, she wants to be able to send and receive texts only via wifi while the phone is in airplane mode (she's spending a lot of time overseas).

Settings -> Messages

1) imessage on
2) send & receive: check to see emails are set

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh wow, sorry I sent you those pics last week. I hope she didn't get them. That could be awkward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads