• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney, Australia

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
I will be taking some time for myself in Sydney. I was wondering if anyone has a favorite place they like to go or an area they enjoy visiting. Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
smile.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues
I will be taking some time for myself in Sydney. I was wondering if anyone has a favorite place they like to go or an area they enjoy visiting.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
smile.gif

Take the ferry to Mosman from Circular Quay. Leave the station, make left, walk behind the Sea Scouts hall (or when leaving the dock, go straight, see Mosman 1908 scout hall which was mine, the first established in Australia, and has a direct link to Baden Powell). Walk through the forest (the name escapes me). Easy to find. Climb up the steep steps behind the hall. If you get lost, you shouldn't, you'll soon see hikers. Forest is absolutely unlike anything else in the world. You'll be in a rainforest, turn a corner, sweeping dramatic views of the Harbour, Opera House, Bridge etc. then you are enveloped in a rain forest again and you'll have no clue you're in a major metropolitan city. You can hop on the ferry at Cremorne Point or keep walking over to Neutral Bay along the inlet.

Chinatown is pretty sweet. BBQ King is incredible. The proprietor is this awesome, huge Chinese dude who runs the register. Every transaction ends with: Thank you very much MMMMMMMMMMMMMate!

The Botanical Gardens are stunning.

You can get to the prison in the middle of the Harbour now too I was reading recently. Always wanted to go.

St Anne's Cathedral is amazing as well. It is one of those churches where you can truly feel the presence of God. They also just finished the steeples in the past few years. 100 years after the church.

Walk around the conservative business dress, you'll find something neat.

If you can get to a test match at the SCG, do so.

Some other stuff I have in mind is just what I liked from living there for three years and kinda hard to get to, such as the Mosmon military base. You can drive there and walk around the nature park. Again, just incredible stuff.

Beach wise, I really liked Balmoral but not really too much to keep you there too long. Bondi was meh. I guess go see it. Never spent much time there. North Curl Curl was my favorite although many of the northern beaches are nice. Manly is too crowded.

If you can, take the train out to the Blue Mountains. Those are neat. Plenty of English BnBs out there.

I also liked the bush. TBH, spend a couple days out there wandering around. Nothing else resembles it in the world. You can take the highspeed rail out west or head southwest to Appin. There's a big scouts australia campsite out there you can go to.

Well, that's a start I suppose.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Circular Quay is definitely on the nicer side of town. If you can, attend a concert at the Opera House and maybe a harbour cruise. Chinatown and Circular Quay both have markets stalls open on friday nights for you to browse and soak up the atmosphere.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bondi - go straight there swim, sun and cliff top walk. or Coogee etc. Taronga Zoo is a spin not far from Edinatlanta's scout hall

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single Origin Roasters in Surrey Hills: the single best espresso I've ever had, and with an absolutely mad owner.

speedfreak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
Single Origin Roasters in Surrey Hills: the single best espresso I've ever had, and with an absolutely mad owner.

If you like coffee, check out Campos in Newtown. It is excellent. http://www.camposcoffee.com/

Other than the before mentioned, I would suggest Oxford St. in Paddington, or a trip to Hunter valley, a wine region some 200km north of Sydney.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harbor cruise, Sydney Aquarium (the walk-through shark tank is very cool), Sydney Zoo (Take a cruise over. You'll get an amazing view of the city). They're all spectacular!

Philip

Reaction score
The Botanic Gardens is really nice and peaceful despite being in the city, much better than Hyde Park

The symphony at the Opera House, under 27s can get c reserve tickets for AUD30

Once Chauvel reopens, the Cinematheque every Monday night

Apart from that there isn't much except the boring and overbuzzed king st Newtown, Oxford st Darlinghurst/Paddington, Five Ways Paddington, Crown St Surry Hills, Darling st Balmain, Norton St Leichhardt for Restaurants.

Philip

Reaction score
Oh and if you haven't booked a hotel yet, Sheraton on the Park is excellent. AUD230 a night for really nice, large studio rooms. The marble bathroom is amazing. I stay there a lot with my girlfriend when we just want a break.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I am going into Sydney tomorrow. I am taking the day and enjoying the place at a relaxed pace.

Portll

Reaction score
Are you still in Sydney? If so:

... take some time for yourself in the botanical gardens & hyde park

... for coffee, go to:
- Mecca Espresso (Harris St, Ultimo, King St, conservative business dress)
- Coffee Alchemy (out of the way on the corner of Addison Rd & Cook Rd, Marrickville)
- Reuben Hills (great new Melbourne-style cafe in Surry Hills with a focus on South American cuisine & coffees)
- Sample Coffee (Surry Hills)
- Single Origin (if you like 5-10ml double ristrettos & lots of metrosexuals & queens (mostly heterosexual ones) poncing over fairly nice food)
- Joe Black (Surry Hills, closer to conservative business dress)

... for cakeries, go to:
- Black Star Pastry (just off King St, Newtown)

- Flour & Stone (Wooloomooloo, some of the best cakes in Sydney w/ Coffee Alchemy coffee)
- Adriano Zumbo (Darling St, Balmain)
- Bourke St Bakery (Bourke St, Surry Hills, also other places)

... for some of the best pizza in the world, go to:
- La Disfida (Ramsey St, Haberfield)
- Napoli in Bocca (also Haberfield)
- Pomodoro Rosso (Balmain, not quite as good)

... for a nice little bar, try Fix St. James in the conservative business dress.

will update more if you're still there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads