• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweetbreads

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I've never tried them--only because I cannot get past what they are. On our next trip to Chicago, where is the best place to try them?

Also, to anybody that has indulged in them, what is the texture like when you are eating sweetbreads?

My gf discovered down in Naples that Sweetbreads are not sweet nor are they bread. Good time at Artisans ruined by this discovery.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The usual suspects in Chicago. Trotter's, Tru, Blackbird, Schwa, MK, Boka etc.

Thymus and pancreas glands all the way baby. Darn good too.

Thanks for the tip. We like trotter's--so I'll give it a try there.

Some friends in southern China were happy to hear that I will try sweetbreads. They wonder why I won't eat monkey brains though...

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it. I had a wonderful Caesar salad where the "croutons" were pieces of corn meal crusted sweetbread.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweetbreads are AMAZING. Kwilk did not mention Les Nomades or Old Town Brasserie, which I think are probably more likely to be serving them on any given day.

Some of the best I've had were at Blue Ribbon in NYC and I believe they are a regular menu item there. Also Bayona's in Nola are fantastic.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering here, does anyone prepare sweetbreads at home?

If so any recipes to suggest?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Just wondering here, does anyone prepare sweetbreads at home? If so any recipes to suggest?
I make them at home a few times a year. It takes awhile, but it's pretty easy. Basically, you soak them overnight in cold water with a little salt in it to draw out any blood. Then you put them in a pan with cold water and a bit of salt, bring to a boil and then simmer about 6 minutes. Refresh them under cold running water, then you peel off the membranes and any ***** spots. Do it carefully, you don't want them to come apart. Then you put them on a paper towel on a cookie sheet, place another paper towel on top, then another sheet and press them with a couple pound weight. Do this for four hours or so. Then they are ready to go. To cook them, you can do something as simple as saute them in foaming butter about four minutes a side, or you can brown them and braise them in veal stock, or cook them lightly in butter then braise in white stock. Braise for about 15 minutes or so. They go with anything you would normally serve veal or chicken with. Not demanding, and pretty hard to **** up, but they do take a bit of time to prepare. Personally, I love them with wild mushrooms.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I make them at home a few times a year. It takes awhile, but it's pretty easy. Basically, you soak them overnight in cold water with a little salt in it to draw out any blood. Then you put them in a pan with cold water and a bit of salt, bring to a boil and then simmer about 6 minutes. Refresh them under cold running water, then you peel off the membranes and any ***** spots. Do it carefully, you don't want them to come apart. Then you put them on a paper towel on a cookie sheet, place another paper towel on top, then another sheet and press them with a couple pound weight. Do this for four hours or so. Then they are ready to go. To cook them, you can do something as simple as saute them in foaming butter about four minutes a side, or you can brown them and braise them in veal stock, or cook them lightly in butter then braise in white stock. Braise for about 15 minutes or so. They go with anything you would normally serve veal or chicken with. Not demanding, and pretty hard to **** up, but they do take a bit of time to prepare. Personally, I love them with wild mushrooms.

Making me hungry.
blush.gif

PITAronin

Reaction score
About a year ago I had an extended consulting contract in Chicago and went to Rick Bayless' restaurant Topolobampo on a few occasions. As the first course in one of their 5-course tasting menus (maybe the Celebration menu or possibly the Adventurer menu) they did some really nice sweetbreads. Not sure I recall what else accompanied the dish, but there was a bit of an hoja santo foam that provided a really interesting flavor enhancement.

BP348

Reaction score
They are pretty popular here in Texas. people make them on the BBQ.

I've tried them a few times, hate'em!!

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
anyone know of a good place in los angeles (preferably east of la brea)? i know mozza has them, but i'm too impatient to make reservations three weeks in advance.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
anyone know of a good place in los angeles (preferably east of la brea)? i know mozza has them, but i'm too impatient to make reservations three weeks in advance.
You need to go to a place that serves real (white) veal. Pink veal sweetbreads are not so good. That means avoiding all of the fart to table restaurants and going somewhere a bit more classic, at least in CA. Made some last night. Delicious.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
preparing this tonight/making it tomorrow. can't wait to try it. one question, you don't do that milk poaching thing? the butcher recommended letting it simmer in milk with garlic and thyme as prep. incidentally, it's pink. i got impatient...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads