• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweetbreads

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never tried them--only because I cannot get past what they are. On our next trip to Chicago, where is the best place to try them?

Also, to anybody that has indulged in them, what is the texture like when you are eating sweetbreads?

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Also, to anybody that has indulged in them, what is the texture like when you are eating sweetbreads?

I actually just had them for the first time on Sunday. I liked them. I'd say the texture is rather buttery and creamy if that helps.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how my grandmother used to make them; very simply, just grilled. I sometimes grill them too on the BBQ. The texture is very soft and unlike other meats.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love them !!!!
I enjoy them fried, sauteed , baked, broiled .... they are ******* good!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
i had it once, foolishly thinking it was going to be literally "sweet bread", and not knowing what it really was til I went home and googled it. didnt taste bad, but wouldnt get it again. ignorance is bliss.

Fine dining really is wasted on me.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
It's got a unique texture - a bit creamy on the inside. I like them coated with a little bit of flour and sauteed. Like many things, they taste great with bacon.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmm, sweetbreads. I had a nice dish a few weeks ago of sweetbreads with pork belly. I like mine with a slightly crisp outside and tender, buttery inside.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I ate some sweetbreads (lamb, IIRC). You all make me want to go find some tonight and cook it up. But my gf hates the idea of eating brain, so I might have to eat this all by myself.
frown.gif

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I had a dish of sweetbreads with bacon last year and it was terrific. I haven't eaten a lot of sweetbreads overall though.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmmm. The best place around here IMO was the Willow Inn . It's been closed for years, unfortunately.
frown.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It's been a while since I ate some sweetbreads (lamb, IIRC). You all make me want to go find some tonight and cook it up. But my gf hates the idea of eating brain, so I might have to eat this all by myself.
frown.gif

It works out since they're not brain.
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
It works out since they're not brain.
smile.gif

Ack! All this time.
blush.gif

We're not having brain for dinner tonight. Wooohoooo....

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I've never tried them--only because I cannot get past what they are. On our next trip to Chicago, where is the best place to try them?

The usual suspects in Chicago. Trotter's, Tru, Blackbird, Schwa, MK, Boka etc. Call to see if they have any plans to have sweetbreads on the menu for when you'll be there. I know they've all served them before, and they will all likely do it again, but I don't know that they will for exactly when you're going. I know places like Trotter's would probably do whatever it took to find some if they knew you wanted some, b/c that's the kind of level of customer satisfaction and service CT strives for.
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Ack! All this time.
blush.gif

We're not having brain for dinner tonight. Wooohoooo....

Thymus and pancreas glands all the way baby. Darn good too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics