• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater Time: Highest Quality Sweaters

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have 3 vintage Pringle cashmeres that my father bought in the 60's that I've worn myself for 20 years and they're in fantastic shape. I have another Pringle that I got as a gift in the 80's (when I was in high school, from my mother, when cashmere was still pretty exotic and universally epensive - I remember thinking it was too extravagant a gift) and it still looks like new.

I have a Saks branded cashmere from a few years ago that became pilly and misshapen within months. The same thing with a Barney's brand cashmere/silk blend that I got last year at the hangar sale.

I have an Aida Barini from shopthefinest.com and a Scaglione from Lance, both of which are wearing very well and both of which have nice slim fits. I think Lance has a few more of the Scaglione crew neck cashmeres for about $200.

Also - I have a vintage Wilkes Bashford-branded cashmere that has held up extremely well.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have sweaters from most of the mentioned makers. My favourites are from Jil Sander, particularly because they are the only truly slim cut, quality cashmere sweaters I've been able to find. What I mean by truly slim is that unlike most "slim" sweaters, they are actually fitted through the body. In fact, some taper instead of being straight. Some might find that too fem, but it's perfect for me. The cashmere and/or silk are high quality, not as nice as Cucinelli, LP, and Ballantyne, but close enough.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Johnstons of Elgin cashmere and a John Smedley merino v-neck from STP. Very satisfied, although there is nothing like the feel of the cashmere (for significantly more, of course).

styleoasis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I don't know how good they are but I saw some nice silk/cashmere blend sweaters in Banana Republic for around $70 I think. Good color selection.
I bought one of those and would highly reccomend it. It is probably one of my all-time favorite sweaters and is comfortable warm, well-constructed, and looks nice. I bought mine on sale for only $35ish but I would definitely pay $70 for it.

Does anyone know anything about Geoffrey Beene sweaters? I saw one yesterday and it looked very nice but was at Macys so I'm guessing it's a lower brand. I am contemplating picking one up.

rajesh06

Reaction score
What do you think of Gran Sasso (Italian) and A. Paine (English) (Hope I spelled those right).
I have picked up one of each recently - like them both, but can attest to their longevity.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I have a Saks branded cashmere from a few years ago that became pilly and misshapen within months. The same thing with a Barney's brand cashmere/silk blend that I got last year at the hangar sale.

My local SOF has store-brand cashmere "Made in China" and "Made in Scotland". I'm contemplating sampling the Scottish cashmere. Which is yours? Does anyone know who makes Saks' Scottish cashmere sweaters?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Saks-branded made-in-England cashmere pilled pretty quickly and badly. However, one from Barneys made in China is holding up fine with minimal pilling so far.
confused.gif

--Andre

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
What do you think of A. Paine .
I have picked up one of each recently - like them both, but can attest to their longevity.

I have around a dozen A. Paine (for N. Peal) that are holding up wonderfully after nearly twenty years. Though, this may not speak to their current issue.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
This is a great list and I might add Tse to it.

TSE is made in China, which is not a good thing.

richstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I have around a dozen A. Paine (for N. Peal) that are holding up wonderfully after nearly twenty years. Though, this may not speak to their current issue.

N. Peal. Cary Grant loved them, mostly their cardigans, until he got turned on my Avon Celli and other brands.

misterjase

Reaction score
Who are the well regarded high quality British makers out there at the moment so far as cashmere sweaters are concerned?

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peter Scott is pretty good in my opinion. The ones I have are a mixture of angora and lambswool, incredibly warm.
Actually good quality merino wool sweaters are what I wear most of the time. Cashmere does feel more luxurious though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads