Sweater Time: Highest Quality Sweaters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have 3 vintage Pringle cashmeres that my father bought in the 60's that I've worn myself for 20 years and they're in fantastic shape. I have another Pringle that I got as a gift in the 80's (when I was in high school, from my mother, when cashmere was still pretty exotic and universally epensive - I remember thinking it was too extravagant a gift) and it still looks like new.

I have a Saks branded cashmere from a few years ago that became pilly and misshapen within months. The same thing with a Barney's brand cashmere/silk blend that I got last year at the hangar sale.

I have an Aida Barini from shopthefinest.com and a Scaglione from Lance, both of which are wearing very well and both of which have nice slim fits. I think Lance has a few more of the Scaglione crew neck cashmeres for about $200.

Also - I have a vintage Wilkes Bashford-branded cashmere that has held up extremely well.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I have sweaters from most of the mentioned makers. My favourites are from Jil Sander, particularly because they are the only truly slim cut, quality cashmere sweaters I've been able to find. What I mean by truly slim is that unlike most "slim" sweaters, they are actually fitted through the body. In fact, some taper instead of being straight. Some might find that too fem, but it's perfect for me. The cashmere and/or silk are high quality, not as nice as Cucinelli, LP, and Ballantyne, but close enough.

3. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I got a Johnstons of Elgin cashmere and a John Smedley merino v-neck from STP. Very satisfied, although there is nothing like the feel of the cashmere (for significantly more, of course).

4. styleoasis

styleoasis Active Member

I don't know how good they are but I saw some nice silk/cashmere blend sweaters in Banana Republic for around $70 I think. Good color selection.
    I bought one of those and would highly reccomend it. It is probably one of my all-time favorite sweaters and is comfortable warm, well-constructed, and looks nice. I bought mine on sale for only $35ish but I would definitely pay $70 for it.

Does anyone know anything about Geoffrey Beene sweaters? I saw one yesterday and it looked very nice but was at Macys so I'm guessing it's a lower brand. I am contemplating picking one up.

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

For a good deal, I think the Smedley sweaters for $50 at STP are hard to beat.

6. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

What do you think of Gran Sasso (Italian) and A. Paine (English) (Hope I spelled those right).
    I have picked up one of each recently - like them both, but can attest to their longevity.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

I have a Saks branded cashmere from a few years ago that became pilly and misshapen within months. The same thing with a Barney's brand cashmere/silk blend that I got last year at the hangar sale.

My local SOF has store-brand cashmere "Made in China" and "Made in Scotland". I'm contemplating sampling the Scottish cashmere. Which is yours? Does anyone know who makes Saks' Scottish cashmere sweaters?

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

My Saks-branded made-in-England cashmere pilled pretty quickly and badly. However, one from Barneys made in China is holding up fine with minimal pilling so far. [​IMG]

--Andre

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

What do you think of A. Paine .
    I have picked up one of each recently - like them both, but can attest to their longevity.

I have around a dozen A. Paine (for N. Peal) that are holding up wonderfully after nearly twenty years. Though, this may not speak to their current issue.

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

These make up the bulk of my collection...

Avon Celli
    Cucinelli
    Aida Barni
    Loro Piana
    Borrelli
    Kiton
    Della Ciana
    Barbera
    Agnona/Zegna Cashmere
    Malo
    Berk
    Ballantyne
    Lyle & Scott
    John Smedley

This is a great list and I might add Tse to it.

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

This is a great list and I might add Tse to it.

TSE is made in China, which is not a good thing.

12. richstyle

richstyle Well-Known Member

I have around a dozen A. Paine (for N. Peal) that are holding up wonderfully after nearly twenty years. Though, this may not speak to their current issue.

N. Peal. Cary Grant loved them, mostly their cardigans, until he got turned on my Avon Celli and other brands.

13. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

Who are the well regarded high quality British makers out there at the moment so far as cashmere sweaters are concerned?

14. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

Peter Scott is pretty good in my opinion. The ones I have are a mixture of angora and lambswool, incredibly warm.
    Actually good quality merino wool sweaters are what I wear most of the time. Cashmere does feel more luxurious though.

15. Miguel Alvarez

Miguel Alvarez Senior member

Piacenza does a good job. Maybe not the highest quality, but good enough for me.