• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater Fit Evaluation - Slim vs. Regular cut

LambsWool

Reaction score
I've purchased two sweaters--one is a small, slim-fit (in beige) and the other is a small, regular-fit (in dark green). They seem to be some of the better fitting sweaters I've tried on and I'm contemplating getting a few additional colors, however, I wanted to first get as much feedback from everyone on how they fit me.

Which seems to be the better fit--the slim (beige) or the regular (green)? (color preferences aside, of course)
My concern is that the regular might be a little more baggy and not as tight at the waist. My concern with the slim is that it might ride up too short and might be a little tight in the torso.

The album can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/0IIqh

Any thoughts and advice that can be offered will be very much appreciated!

Poloboy

Reaction score
Neither one of those sweaters really fit you.
Why are you pullig them down like a girl would wear a tight T-shirt.
Find a sweater where the sleeves are long enough to properly roll the cuffs.
The length should be long enough to hit your natural waist and be rolled over.
Stop obsessing about a tight fit, and get a proper fit.

LambsWool

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by your comment about me, "pulling the sweaters down". In those pictures, the sweaters are resting naturally and haven't been pulled down at all.

I was under the impression that the hem of a sweater should hit just below the belt (about an inch), and depending on preference up to about 2 inches below. I think you're dead wrong about the "rolling over" part. This article--http://offthecuffdc.com/tag/sweaters, states, "The hem of the sweater should sit at your waist with room to allow for sitting, stretching etc., but should not blouse over the ribbed bottom. This effect is unattractive on anyone and gives the impression that either you don’t know your own size (legitimately, a common and unfortunate problem for many guys) or that you borrowed someone else’s sweater. Neither impression is a positive one."

As for rolling the cuffs--I was also under the impression that this was something done for a sweater that had sleeves that were too long.

I'm not obsessing about a tight fit. I am looking for a natural fit that complements my body-type, however. And I would like to gather multiple opinions if possible.

I'm not quite sure I agree with your style preference, but I respect your opinion and appreciate your feedback. To each his own.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Neither one of those sweaters really fit you.
Why are you pullig them down like a girl would wear a tight T-shirt.
Find a sweater where the sleeves are long enough to properly roll the cuffs.
The length should be long enough to hit your natural waist and be rolled over.
Stop obsessing about a tight fit, and get a proper fit.

+1

As they are they simply do not fit you.

LambsWool

Reaction score
+1

As they are they simply do not fit you.

Care to elaborate?

The conclusion that I'm drawing from this thread is that I should get a hand-me down sweater that's far too big for me. I'm supposed to have the sweater long enough so that it rolls and folds under itself at my waist? And the sleeves are supposed to be so long that they need to be rolled up my arm into a cuff so that they are properly sitting on my wrist?

Glancing through this album of pictures: http://imgur.com/a/29hye, I can't seem to find a single example of a sweater with rolled cuffs or billowing rolls at the waist...

Am I just missing your point entirely? What aspect of the fit actually seems off to you?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the pictures, and was expecting a really terrible fit, but those seem to be fine. For that type of sweater, (ribbed hem, designed to hit slightly below the beltline), whichever sweater has the least about of blousing will look best.. The saddle shoulders seem to fit well, and the sweaters hit at the right place at the wrist. Don't pay attention to GBR, who seems to have made it his mission to antagonize every new user on the site. Not sure about the other commenter, except that he doesn't seem to like slim sweaters. That's his preference, but he certainly should not present that as an impartial critique.

My only comment would be that there is a bit of extra fabric under the armpits, which could be due to a lower armhole, though that is pretty common and even to be expected in a more traditional fit, and that the sweater should be pulled down slightly, so that it goes over your beltline, both in the front and the back.

cumulative

Reaction score
I think the sweaters look fine.

I like the beige/grey slim fit one more because there is less blousing; it somewhat flatters your physique, but is not so tight that it's like you're objective is showing off.

Last edited:

LambsWool

Reaction score
I just looked at the pictures, and was expecting a really terrible fit, but those seem to be fine. For that type of sweater, (ribbed hem, designed to hit slightly below the beltline), whichever sweater has the least about of blousing will look best.. The saddle shoulders seem to fit well, and the sweaters hit at the right place at the wrist. Don't pay attention to GBR, who seems to have made it his mission to antagonize every new user on the site. Not sure about the other commenter, except that he doesn't seem to like slim sweaters. That's his preference, but he certainly should not present that as an impartial critique.

My only comment would be that there is a bit of extra fabric under the armpits, which could be due to a lower armhole, though that is pretty common and even to be expected in a more traditional fit, and that the sweater should be pulled down slightly, so that it goes over your beltline, both in the front and the back.

Thanks for the feedback (and reassurance that I'm not completely insane)! I don't think there's much I can do about the armhole, but I think I see what you mean. I'd say that aspect concerns me less than the sweater riding up in the back as you pointed out. I took those photos after having walked around/sat down for a bit in the sweater to ensure that the photos captured the look as it was being worn naturally. If I had my absolute ideal--I'd have the sweaters be about an inch or two longer. But considering I got a pretty good deal on them, I think I can compromise on that one aspect.

I think the sweaters look fine.

I like the beige/grey slim fit one more because there is less blousing; it somewhat flatters your physique, but is not so tight that it's like you're objective is showing off.

Good to hear--I tend to agree and have been leaning towards the slim-fit myself. I think that's the one I may stick with. Thanks for your input!

Changexpert

Reaction score
Definitely slim fit. Where did you buy it from? I have bought sweaters from BR, JCrew (both slim and regular lambswool, merino), Express, AF (horrible, don't even attempt), and Tommy Hilfiger Custom Fit. BR is a gamble, usually runs very big, but because their sizing is never consistent, sometimes you can get lucky and get a "slim-fit" sweater. JCrew regular fit is too baggy for me, ended up returning all of them. I won't even talk about AF. Express is decent, but they have sizing quality issue as well, although not as bad as BR.

Tommy Hilfiger, despite a lot of hatred on this brand (including mine), was the best sweater I've ever bought. I was lucky to buy their custom-fit sweater, which is hard to find in the market. Their fabric is amazing, thick (this could be a minus depending on where you live), and slimmest fit I've seen on sweaters. For your reference, I am 6'1", 170 lb, wears 30~31 on waist, 34 inseam. My chest is not so slim, but not that big either. I have a lot of issues with long sleeve tops (shirts, sweaters, coat) because I have kind of long arms while my waist is pretty slim. I heard Polo is usually bad if you are looking for slim fit sweaters, but I've never own one, so I can't make a comment on it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics