• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Super 8

JLM84

Reaction score
I thought the trailer looked so stupid, but I succumbed and went to see it... Actually great.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I understood this as progression from grief and loss to acceptance. Part of the process of growing up - including scenes such as the zombie hickey, which was really cute. It seems Spielberg knows how to get the most out of his child actors.

A friend said he thought the JJ Abrams pitch to Spielberg was "I want to make a movie like the Spielberg ones I grew up with. "

Well, I think we are seeing the same things as far as I can tell. I just don't see conflict and the subsequent development. I saw no deliberation, at least not in anything other than a really quick and superficial way. Maybe I'm missing something and will have to give it another watch.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
Well, I think we are seeing the same things as far as I can tell. I just don't see conflict and the subsequent development. I saw no deliberation, at least not in anything other than a really quick and superficial way. Maybe I'm missing something and will have to give it another watch.
I understand what you are saying. The movie could have been a deeper but would have been far more serious/somber. I think there is a certain lightheartedness and innocence which makes the movie a good summer flick. Also, there is only so much that can be done in under two hours.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
It was a fine way to waste two hours.

Best thing about the movie was the dialogue between the kids, especially the director Charles who is part Orson Welles, part Ed Wood.

When Coach Taylor takes back the department's camera:

Charles: I know that's your camera, sir, but technically, that's my film.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I thought most of the movie was fine. The ending where they tried to wrap it all up nicely with a moral of the story/we can all get along bullshit kind of made me upset.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It reminded me of It a little.

Shalebot

Reaction score
Not a spectacular film in any way, but certainly above par for the course. I thought the cinematography was the most interesting aspect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics