• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Associate at a large firm in Manhattan; I need an entirely new wardrobe. Help!

G

Griffindork

but this guy is claiming to be a summer associate, i.e. an intern.

he might make that $12k a month, but he'll only do it for 3 months.

yes, but it would be atypical for a summer offer to not result in an offer for a full time job.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go to brooks brothers. Easiest, fastest, perfectly good results.

Get two/three entry level suits, 10 shirts, some ties. Get two pairs of allen edmonds shoes around the corner, one black, one dark brown.

Get them in the right size, have the tailor tailor them (show a little cuff, pants NOT TOO LONG [don't wear them like jeans cumbled up]), and you'll be fine.

You'll look very good for this summer, and they'll last you several years.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more thing. Don't get the impression that that salary is a boatload of money. It's very healthy, but you're not making enough to throw money around. If you want to save any $.

I get the feeling that a lot of people around here aren't big savers...

BigRob

Reaction score
To address concerns regarding what my budget ought to be (and to end the speculation in here): Market for a first year associate in NYC is $160,000 plus a bonus if you meet your billable hour requirement. The summer associate program pays $3,100 per week for ten weeks - it's approximately the same compensation as a first year's. My firm has extended offers to 100% of the summers who have worked there since 2009, so while I am counting my chickens, it is probably appropriate for me to do so.

I've never had a paying job before so it's going to be a big change for me. I do appreciate the suggestions for temperance, though, and don't intend to go overboard.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more prestigious the law firm, the worse the lawyers dress. These places tend to be populated by Law Review nerds from top schools.

I agree that it's likely that you're business casual for most of the summer, with suits reserved for special occasions. Go to Banana Republic for that.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Go to Brooks Brothers, try on their Milano Fit pants, figure out your size, and then buy that size on eBay for 60% off.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should ask your contact with the firm what people there actually wear. Are summer associates expected to wear a suit every day, or are trousers and a dress shirt sufficient most days of the week? Because it's a big firm, it go either way. It's not actually a weird or uncomfortable question, even if it seems like one. The coordinator of the summer associate program is there to answer those kinds of questions. The advice here about going to BB, HF, or a higher end department store and getting staple suits, shirts, shoes, etc. is sound, but if the other summer associates are mostly going to be wearing trousers and a dress shirt, you might have some additional shopping to do, depending on what you have already.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought 5 shirts for $250 from Charles (their customer service rep had a lovely British accent). I plan to pick up more shirts from BB when they have a good shirt sale.

Mistake #1 - buying a bunch of items at once. Possibly suckered by customer service. Who knows if the fit is good? Post pictures or bring to an outside tailor for an opinion. Can you return some of the shirts? By the way, the collection should include some vertical stripes.

Do not buy seconds or irregulars. Don't buy bargain-bin anything. Do not buy from eBay (where items often are no longer in 'new' condition, regardless of what the listing claims). Because it's false economy. In some law offices, image is very important.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads