• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer 2018 wedding, Northeast USA. Groom and groomsmen attire advice requested.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
getting married in July 2018 in the Northeast USA in a "rustic" outdoor/indoor setting and trying to determine a few things:

1. the suit i should wear (i am thinking navy, but what type of fabric should i seek out)?

2. groomsmen attire.

at another nameless fashion board i was chastised for even considering having my party in similar/the same attire. however, i have never been witness to anything different. thus my issue is two fold:
a) is it really a faux pas to have the bridal party in similar or the same outfits?
b) what are the best B&M (or online) stores to work with?

thanks!

Maljunulo

Reaction score
As someone pointed out in a different thread "It's a wedding, not a Broadway musical where everything has to match."

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking as one who has been married 31 years (you'll have to ask her why), I can report that contrary to popular belief your wedding day will not be the most important, happy or magical day of your life. (If that were true it would bode poorly for the ensuing decades.)

It can however be a memorably good time if you and your bride allow yourselves to relax and plan carefully but not too seriously. Nowhere is this advice more appropriate than in the realm of attire.

Do yourself and your wedding party a huge favor by not imposing a dress code that requires matching costumes. Rather, settle on a basic look that your groomsmen can easily adapt from their own wardrobes. This would typically be a navy suit, white shirt, dark tie and black shoes. In this way you, and your best friends and brothers in the wedding party, can wear outfits that you all probably already own or, if not, one that will serve you well both socially and professionally for years to come.

If you like, you can all wear matching pocket squares. Have fun. Dance with your mom. Don't drink too much.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well i have come back to update the few that responded. my fiancee, since she is having her bridesmaids match, would like the groomsmen to as well.

which i am fine with as that's all i have ever seen at the weddings i have attended.

but now i need to find a brick and mortar store that will be convenient for my groomsmen but also fit them appropriately.

advice?

Maljunulo

Reaction score
A nephew of mine got married recently and he and his partner came up with what I thought was a good idea. The men of the wedding party, groom, fathers, ushers etc, all wore formal suits of their own choosing, but they all wore identical matching waistcoats with them. They stood out from the mere guests, but without any kind of excessive imposition of dress.

This, or even just neckties which will "tie" all the groomsmen together, also without imposition and added expense.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nephew of mine got married recently and he and his partner came up with what I thought was a good idea. The men of the wedding party, groom, fathers, ushers etc, all wore formal suits of their own choosing, but they all wore identical matching waistcoats with them. They stood out from the mere guests, but without any kind of excessive imposition of dress.

This, or even just neckties which will "tie" all the groomsmen together, also without imposition and added expense.

i do like the matching ties idea, i don't like mismatching suit colors.

i think it would be OK to say, navy suit, white shirt and provide the tie?

TJGent87

Reaction score
Seems like you have a pretty good idea of what you would like to do. So why not just do that?
"i think it would be OK to say, navy suit, white shirt and provide the tie?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads