• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits to start out with

rsmcclelland

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just starting out with my business wardrobe so I have been recently looking around for suits at decent prices (~$400-$500) to get started with.

So far, I've found some at the local Off 5th that are made for Saks with Zegna and Loro Piana cloth. They are both made in the US, not Mexico like previous models that I've read about on here. They are going for $420 right now with their 40% off suits sale. Both seemed good to me as far as materials. The fit wasn't bad but I would still need some alterations in the jackets.

I also went to BB to look at their Suiting Essentials line (2 for $800) and the 1818 Fitzgeralds for comparison. I loved the way the Fitz fit, and liked the way the SE jacket fit. The 1818 cloth is nicer for sure, but the SE cloth isn't too bad (from what I can tell as a noob). If money were no problem, I'd go with the Fitz, but they are almost twice as expensive. However, if they are really that much better I might be able to stretch to get them.

I wanted to get the experts' opinions before purchasing anything. How do these suits compare? Which ones should I go for or stay away from? Anyone have experience with any (or all) of these?

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
I too am in the same boat of just starting a business wardrobe. While I don't have a lot of experience, I do know you might be able to find some better deals if you shop around a bit more. Personally, I wasn't thrilled with the Saks suits either, and if you've narrowed it down between BB1818 and the BB-SE (which is their low end 346 label?), I'd go with the 1818, as its not only going to feel better, but it'll hold up better as well.

Other options:

There are a couple of Isaia suits in size 40R for $599.00 at Sierra Trading Post (use code XKE0206G). Slightly more than you were wanting to spend, but a good deal on a good suit nonetheless. Some of the Off 5th stores will carry Isaia suits, so you could try them on to see how the fits if you really think its best.

B&S subforum here is also seems to be a great place to pick up a good suit at a great price, as far as I can tell from my lurking.

Neiman Marcus Last Call was doing a sale on Hickey Freeman and Hugo Boss suits, somewhere in the ~$420 range. If there is one nearby, I've found them to generally have better deals than Saks Off 5th.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like BB Fitz to start out - but you may find better deals out there. If time is not a problem for you, the BB after Christmas sale is probably your best bet to pick up a BB suit (unless they do those 2/$900-1000 promotions again)

johnvw

Reaction score
Jos.A.Bank Signature and Sig. Gold suits are in the $250-$350 range during some of the sales and are good quality for those prices.

rsmcclelland

Reaction score
Are the BB 1818 suits the best choice out of the ones mentioned? Are the ones at Off 5th not worth the $400 or so?

rsmcclelland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnvw
Jos.A.Bank Signature and Sig. Gold suits are in the $250-$350 range during some of the sales and are good quality for those prices.

I had some of these before and they fit like a sack on me. I would rather go with the ones I mentioned for a bit more.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
I would say that you should save your money and go with what you find at Saks, then you can still have money to have all the necessary adjustments made by a decent tailor.

And like stant mentioned, there will be mad seasonal sales

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits
There are a couple of Isaia suits in size 40R for $599.00 at Sierra Trading Post (use code XKE0206G). Slightly more than you were wanting to spend, but a good deal on a good suit nonetheless.

STP has some great Isaia stuff. The staple business suits (charcoal, navy solids) are very rare, but you can definitely snag some pinstripe suits. And their return policy really can't be beat.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had two friends go for the BB suiting essentials stuff. They went when there was a sale of sorts on (and did some coupon stacking/BB card application stuff) and got a pretty good deal.

I don't think this happens when you buy the suiting essentials stuff online, but in store it is like half-MTM. They take a few measurements and then you pick the fabric and features (vents, lapel stitching, beltloops/adjusters/braces, etc).

Sure the stuff isn't as nice as the 1818 line but you can pick your exact fabrics from a book and get it to fit your measurements rather than having to go with what is in stock. It isn't 100%MTM...my friend definitely needed a little work afterwards but it was probably the best fitting option anywhere near that pricepoint (he has a huge drop)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads