• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitpoia Troubles / Review of 3 services

Shaun Taunton

Reaction score
I bought 3 made to measure 3 piece suits earlier this year:

1 from a local tailor

1 from http://itailor.com/

1 from http://www.suitopia.com/en/

I’m going to review the 1st 2 services in brief, and the 3rd in detail.

--

I bought a navy suit costing about $700 from a local tailor.

The tailoring was outstanding and is the best fitting suit I have ever owned.

The fabric was a letdown, I wish I had spent an extra few hundred $ because with better material this could easily have been the best suit I have ever owned.

I subsequently used the measurements given by this tailor for my online orders.

--

From itailor I bought a suit costing just under $200.
I thought I was buying an olive suit, but as I had been warned in reading around about buying suits online that sometimes the color you see on your screen doesn’t match what you eventually come face to face with – in this case it didn’t match well to what I saw, but it was adequately close to the fabric description of silver sage, so no hard feelings.

Even so, I was pleased with the purchase – which also was processed and delivered quickly and without complication.

The quality of the fabric and lining were both excellent.

The tailoring understandably wasn’t as finely calibrated as my local tailor but it fits well.

Color precision aside, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend itailor to anybody it is a good service and particularly excellent value for money.

I have since ordered a 2nd suit from them, and will almost certainly order more in the future.

--

To Suitopia’s credit the fabric was good quality and the color exactly matched what I saw on their website, also the fit of the trousers was very nearly as good as my local tailor.

The jacket sleeves are noticeably shorter than the other 2 jackets I got elsewhere, despite being based on the same measurements. This isn’t a deal breaker, but it does render this (otherwise well fitting) jacket the least good fit of the 3.

I can’t say that I was pleased with their vest; however this could be just a matter of personal preference. On a good day, I would describe as sparse, on a bad day flimsy/cheap feeling, meanwhile my local tailor’s was moderate and balanced, and itailor’s was substantial – which I like, but others may say it is a touch bulky. I personally didn’t like Suitopia’s vest while I did like the other 2, but others may not share my sentiment on this point.

The lining Suitopia used was less well tailored into the jacket and vest, and seemed like a cheap, corner-cutting, after thought compared to the other 2 services I used both of whom used substantially better quality and better integrated lining – as far as I can tell. The main fabric felt like it met the (just under) $500 price tag, the lining did not.

All of these flaws and misgivings I could overlook but for what happened around custom service issues.

I initially ordered this suit in January.

Come March I was wondering when I should expect my suit (since the iTailor one had long since arrived), so I logged back in to check and found that my credit card had been rejected and thus the order hadn’t gone through.

Indeed, a closer inspection of my e-mail revealed that I had missed a message informing me of this later on the same day that I ordered.

My bad, not theirs.

That being the case I went ahead and reordered the suit in April with a different credit card which was not rejected.

It arrived in a timely fashion and while I wasn’t entirely pleased with it, at that time I didn’t consider writing a negative review because I didn’t expect perfection and was basically satisfied with what they delivered.

It is now August and last week a totally unexpected package turned up from Suitopia. I have not opened it, but it apparently contains a replica of suit that I ordered before.

As near as I can understand what they did was when I ordered the 2nd suit with the different credit card they retroactively applied the new credit card to the old lapsed order which they themselves had cancelled due to non-payment.

Exactly why they did this 4 months after the 2nd order and 7 months after the initial order is beyond me.

In trying to deal with customer services they are totally unrepentant and are blaming me because I didn’t cancel the order – which I obviously didn’t need to do since they had already cancelled it at their end.

At best they are totally unwilling to take responsibility for the flaw in their online order system that took it upon itself to hijack my 2nd credit card and apply to the earlier order without my permission.

At worst they looked at their balance sheet and decided they needed another $500 to meet their monthly target and decided to abuse the complications in my earlier transactions to cash in.

I had been considering ordering a dark green suit from them at some point later this year – albeit with some adjustments to my measurements and a more cautious/meticulous lining selection.

Instead I am condemning them across multiple websites that discuss and review made-to-measure suits…

I should add: before I began posting this far and wide I showed it to them to give them one last chance to be reasonable…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads