• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit vs. Street: Which is more difficult

Studio27

Reaction score
As the title suggests, which is more difficult to do well. Pictures of "great" and "terrible" for both categories are always good...

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd say it definitely costs more to rack up a decent wardrobe of tailored clothes, while with streetwear you can get away with integrating cheapo pieces and not looking like shite.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a definitive answer, this is not the right venue.

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
If you want a definitive answer, this is not the right venue.

more just an interesting topic I think will bring up some good discussion. I xposted in MC
teacha.gif

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's also a super vague question that needs some clarification. Like, does "pull off" mean the ability to avoid negative attention from other folks? Or the ability to make everything work in some absolute aesthetic sense that exists separately from the subjective opinion of friends/associates?

Also, with both streetwear and tailored stuff, there is always some base level or "default" style that one can wear as opposed to branching out, experimenting, etc. So is the question about the base level, or are we talking about the ability to experiment?

chang

Reaction score
Maybe suit costs more, but there seems to be more rules in place so most people with some basic advice can probably at least look decent without making too much effort. I can't easily figure out what I want to wear casually, so it's a lot more difficult for me to figure out street style.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's mostly based on build and attitude. A skinny hipster is going to look at ease in Flat Heads and BoO, while an executive who works out a lot might look better in Brioni.

PolePosition

Reaction score
I think that it is easier to look good in suits because there are sets of "rules" that apply when wearing suits. People don't need to necessarily have personal style, just need to know how to match colors, get suits that are tailored correctly, tie ties, get good shoes, etc.... I mean there are alot of places to learn how to dress well in business clothing and is a bit less subjective.

Whereas streetwear. Well here there is basically free reign in what looks good. What looks good to one person may not look good to others. Granted there is still a sense of fitment that is very important, but some people may think the hipster looks good, but I think its ugly. Too many different tastes to really define how to look good and also the environment, circumstances, etc. also would be necessary in dictating what is looking good.... so I'd say it is harder to do well in street clothes. The majority of the public, even if they have a style they are going for, may not necessarily pull it off well. Contrast this with how many people can look good in a suit with relative ease.

intelintel37

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
I think that it is easier to look good in suits because there are sets of "rules" that apply when wearing suits. People don't need to necessarily have personal style, just need to know how to match colors, get suits that are tailored correctly, tie ties, get good shoes, etc.... I mean there are alot of places to learn how to dress well in business clothing and is a bit less subjective.

Whereas streetwear. Well here there is basically free reign in what looks good. What looks good to one person may not look good to others. Granted there is still a sense of fitment that is very important, but some people may think the hipster looks good, but I think its ugly. Too many different tastes to really define how to look good and also the environment, circumstances, etc. also would be necessary in dictating what is looking good.... so I'd say it is harder to do well in street clothes. The majority of the public, even if they have a style they are going for, may not necessarily pull it off well. Contrast this with how many people can look good in a suit with relative ease.

second that

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's harder to pull off Suit style because of some rules; which I admit can be flexible and open to interpretation.

Just this week I bought a Rag & Bone tweed sport coat. Usually I take a Large in their shirts and coats even though I'm a medium in most other brands. So I had to choose between a size 40 and 42 (note: I live far from a city so I had to web order - making sure I could return it if it couldn't fit).

I chose the 40 size since that is roughly my chest size. I got it today and it fit fine except that the sleeves were around an inch too long. Now if this were a street style jacket, I might just leave it as is or roll up the sleeves from time to time. But I plan on wearing it with a dress shirt and I'd like to show some of the shirt sleeve.

Now I have to take the tweed sport coat to a tailor so the sleeves can be brought up. I hope my tailor can do this without ruining my tweed sport coat since the sleeves have a working button with a hole.

musicboohoo[1].gif

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that street style needs to be able to function in a (generally, I suppose some people wear suits all the time) wider range of situations, has no rules, and changes greatly with the weather/season, I voted that it is harder. Albeit, only slightly.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
street by far...One could wear a suit from the 1800's and look sharp today. Try wearing an 1800's swimsuit for example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads