• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Opinions?

foozball

Reaction score
Was thinking about getting a suit made. I'm 26 and wanted a more modern look. 2 buttons, narrow peak lapels, and slanted pockets with flaps and a ticket pocket in a dark grey fabric. Is that too aggressive looking?

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Do you own a suit already? Do you have to wear one for work? Depending on where you work that could be too fashion forward. We need to know the environment you'll be wearing it in before helping you brosef.

Last edited:

foozball

Reaction score
I live and work in DC. I do own a "normal" suit, 2 button charcoal pinstripe with notch lapels and double vent. I normally don't wear a suit to work, but I do like to dress up and just look dead sexy every now and then. It'd be more for special events, work events, networking functions, fancy dinners with hot babes, etc.

I really like the look of a ticket pocket, I think it adds a nice modern touch. I'm just wondering if the slanted look is a little too much.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Yeah let us know the environment you'll be wearing it in.

On pure face value I'd say stray away from narrow peak lapels - they're very fashion forward right now and they just don't look balanced. I love peak lapels and by all means go for them but they are by nature a little more aggressive than notches so look much better if you have them a little wider. Here's a few picks from Patrick Johnson's site (An Australian tailor) where I think the lapels look aggressive but not ridiculous. The glencheck suit is probably the largest I'd go in terms of peaks, the blue is a little slimmer.

Not to rip too much into your idea but as a matter of pure preference I don't like slanted pockets on suits - they look great on tweed or flannel because of their equestrian origin but I'd personally keep it for country influenced clothing

foozball

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yea I'm second guessing the slants. I'm going for the narrow peaks because I have very narrow shoulders. I'm about 5'10 160lbs. If I had wide lapels, I think they would dominate the suit.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was thinking about getting a suit made. I'm 26 and wanted a more modern look. 2 buttons, narrow peak lapels, and slanted pockets with flaps and a ticket pocket in a dark grey fabric. Is that too aggressive looking?

Everyone has different style, but this is the opposite of mine. Slim lapels are skimpy and little-boy like. Slanted/hacking pockets are often gimmicky. A ticket pocket can be okay, but you're just adding bells and whistles.

n00b2000

Reaction score
I'm 5' 10", about 165 with relatively narrow shoulders, even for my height. I've got a couple of peak suits where the lapel measures 3.75 inches and it doesn't overpower my frame at all. I agree with Needsmoreshoes that narrow peaks tend to look unbalanced, so I'd personally lean away from that.

I've always thought that slanted pockets favor a more athletic build, although I honestly couldn't tell you quite why - when I've tried on jackets with slanted pockets, I always feel as though they make me look almost a little potbellied, as if they create the illusion that the jacket is cinched too tight at the waist. On the other hand, I've seen more top-heavy dudes pull the look off pretty well. One way or another, along with the ticket pocket, it's an attention catching detail that will define the suit, so make sure you're comfortable with it before you go ahead.

guymac12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A slanted pocket in a suit will probably raise some eyebrows and get second looks.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This suit will look dated and silly very quickly. This is the cost of buying fashion.

Personally I think it looks silly right now, but to each his own.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Something like this perhaps?

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
You don't want lapels dominating the suit but nor do you want to skimp on them - Just get them at a moderate width that looks in proportion with your height and size. You'll look back at slim lapels in a few years and wonder what you were thinking sinking money into them on a custom suit.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You don't want lapels dominating the suit but nor do you want to skimp on them - Just get them at a moderate width that looks in proportion with your height and size. You'll look back at slim lapels in a few years and wonder what you were thinking sinking money into them on a custom suit.

Yes, slim lapels..slim fitting often look better on tall lanky body types and not for everyone. I'd usually go for a slightly slim or perhaps tapered tailored suit jacket and straight cut trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads