• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit length too short?

mtheory8

Reaction score
Ok, I know the "rules" on proper fitting suit. But, I'm a short/slim guy(5'5'' or 164cm) and my legs are fairly short. Whenever I wear long shirts, or jackets, it makes me look even shorter. So, my question is, if I have my suit made to end a little higher than the "standard", lets assume its at your knuckle, to maybe closer to your wrist but definitely not shorter than where the sleeves end, will it look fine? e.g.

another similar

Last edited:

Stugotes

Reaction score
The jacket should end at the same height the crotch ends. That way it should cover your buttocks completely. The jacket in the picture above looks about right.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket length is not determined by an exact rule, in fact your proportions do come into play. If you have short legs, a slightly shorter jacket will help balance things out. Of course there are extremes, which should be avoided... about an inch of margin should be safe. It should still cover your buttocks, though.

Last edited:

mtheory8

Reaction score
ok, I know the picture above fits, I said in my OP that if the jacket was raised to where his wrist is rather than where it is in the pictire.

Anyways, here is another picture that is closer to what my suit fits like. Except, the guy in the pic is probably much taller than me.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is at least 2-3 inches higher than the pic you posted previously. It's much too short IMO. About an inch or an inch and half longer than this should be enough to offset your short legs while still looking good...

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thing is if your tall and rather slim a shorter coat works because it offsets the narrowness in the body. If you get a guy who's a 36 chest and is 6 feet plus a regular jacket or a long one can make him look like Jack Skellington. This jacket (sort of) looks good on the model because he is tall and slim. If he was shorter and wider the length may seem wrong.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jackets in both of the pics in the OP look much too short and will probably look off, no matter what your height is. A really short jacket on a short guy will look like you mistakenly bought something out of the children's section. Like others have said, make sure the back of the jacket covers your ass.

Tweedy

Reaction score
I agree, if your jacket is too short it will actually make you look shorter ....

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The jacket should end at the same height the crotch ends. That way it should cover your buttocks completely. The jacket in the picture above looks about right.

Agreed. The right length simply balances your look.

sturm07

Reaction score
For me, a jacket length depends on your upper body and lower body proportion. Also, it depends on the design (one button, 2 buttons, single vent, double vents, etc...) and how wide you are. I don't believe in a standard rule for everyone since not a single person has the same body type.

mtheory8

Reaction score
the thing is, I've put on some off the rack suits that have that fits the "knuckle" rule but it just looks like a dress to me. though, it could be due to the bad fitting elsewhere, but I'm still not completely comfortable with the length on those jackets even though they satisfy the rule. I'm also very skinny (110lb), and I wear 28 inseam pants.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

the thing is, I've put on some off the rack suits that have that fits the "knuckle" rule but it just looks like a dress to me. though, it could be due to the bad fitting elsewhere, but I'm still not completely comfortable with the length on those jackets even though they satisfy the rule. I'm also very skinny (110lb), and I wear 28 inseam pants.

Pictures? I think the knuckle rule can be misleading as people have different length arms. I prefer to look at how the jacket compares to the fork of the pants. But the jackets you posted are unambiguously way too short.

TurnerE

Reaction score
Pictures would definitely help with this. Whoever said a shorter jacket could make you look short is absolutely right. A suit jacket will probably always feel a little long if you generally wear more casual clothes. It sounds like you're having a very hard time finding a suit that fits off the rack, so it might be worth investing in a good bespoke suit, made by a tailor that you could actually discuss your preferences with and who would be making the suit for your body as opposed to the general body size of a certain proportion of the population.

rick07

Reaction score
Ideally the suit's length should at least hide your backside, regardless of your height.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads