• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit jacket too tight?

Andres Randmaa

Reaction score
I've been thinking of buying a proper suit few months from now and thus been doing a lot of research into buying proper fitting suits. I have tried different variations over the past few weeks and found a some that are to my liking and aren't that costly. I know for a fact that I want a 3-piece and slim fit suit. The thing is that lately I'm worrying, if I'm thinking too slim so I thought I'd ask for an opinion here. Anyway, here's the picture for better understanding:

I like this suit the most at the moment, but do you think that the suit jacket is indeed too tight? I've had people say, that out of every suit I've tried so far, this one is the best looking but then again the people at the shop would say, that it is too tight and I should opt for a size up. Yes, I know that the "X" crease at the button indicates that a suit is too tight but other than that, the shoulders are fine, sleeves are fine and the vents are not opened etc. When trying a size larger, I don't really get the desired V effect that I'm after and I'd probably need alterations. Should I opt for a size up and let a tailor work the suit to my liking or should I just ignore the shopkeepers and go with it as is?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been thinking of buying a proper suit few months from now and thus been doing a lot of research into buying proper fitting suits. I have tried different variations over the past few weeks and found a some that are to my liking and aren't that costly. I know for a fact that I want a 3-piece and slim fit suit. The thing is that lately I'm worrying, if I'm thinking too slim so I thought I'd ask for an opinion here. Anyway, here's the picture for better understanding:

I like this suit the most at the moment, but do you think that the suit jacket is indeed too tight? I've had people say, that out of every suit I've tried so far, this one is the best looking but then again the people at the shop would say, that it is too tight and I should opt for a size up. Yes, I know that the "X" crease at the button indicates that a suit is too tight but other than that, the shoulders are fine, sleeves are fine and the vents are not opened etc. When trying a size larger, I don't really get the desired V effect that I'm after and I'd probably need alterations. Should I opt for a size up and let a tailor work the suit to my liking or should I just ignore the shopkeepers and go with it as is?

I can't tell if it's too tight because it could be doing that for different reasons. However, if it's a bit tight in the waist, it can most likely be let out a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads