• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Length

NBankston

Reaction score
How really should suit jacket length be established? In dressing the man, Flusser mentions two heuristics: "˜the extended thumb' and "˜cut the overall length in two'. He then goes on to say that a top tailor will use neither and trust his eye. In Clothes and the Man, he says that the jacket should be just long enough to fully cover the buttocks but otherwise minimize length to maximize leg line, except for short or tall men for whom the jacket should be longer. I've read here, at least Manton has stated, that the jacket should be on the shorter side (relative to "˜cut in half', I think?) for shorter men to lengthen the leg line, which makes sense to me. On the other hand, all of the tailors I have used recommend jackets that are longer than necessary to just cover my behind. (I am on the shorter side, 5'10"). What are the real rules?

cuffthis

Reaction score
I am 5'10" also. I have all of my jackets cut so they just cover my backside. Substantially all of my suits and odd jackets are side vented. I find that this jacket length along with side vents of 10" give the maximum length to my legs anf give me a slightly taller and slimmer appearance, both of which are important to me.

BjornH

Reaction score
It also depends on your figure. If you are just shorter than the norm it's not critical. On the other hand, if your legs are missing a few inches like me, a normal length jacket looks plain silly. This is coincidentally my main problem with clothes.

B

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How really should suit jacket length be established?  In dressing the man, Flusser mentions two heuristics: "˜the extended thumb' and "˜cut the overall length in two'.  He then goes on to say that a top tailor will use neither and trust his eye.  In Clothes and the Man, he says that the jacket should be just long enough to fully cover the buttocks but otherwise minimize length to maximize leg line, except for short or tall men for whom the jacket should be longer.  I've read here, at least Manton has stated, that the jacket should be on the shorter side (relative to "˜cut in half', I think?) for shorter men to lengthen the leg line, which makes sense to me.  On the other hand, all of the tailors I have used recommend jackets that are longer than necessary to just cover my behind. (I am on the shorter side, 5'10").  What are the real rules?
Jacket must cover your seat.

I am 5'11" as well.  Perfect jacket length for me is 31 inches from the bottom of a jacket collar.  This will cover my rear end and does not leave excessive cloth. This is why I like Brioni RTW suits the best because they have perfect length for me. Napolitian suits are much longer.

fkl118

Reaction score
I agree that it should cover your butt. My upper body is proportionally longer than my legs, so if I use the "thumb rule" the jacket will be too short. On the other hand, someone with long arms will end up with a jacket that's too long.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I confess that I do not understand and never have understood what Flusser means by applying the term "cutting in half" to the length of a suit coat.  Suits are after all made of the same cloth, and the eye tends not to focus on where coat ends and trousers begin.  I agree that "cutting in half" is an issue with respect to odd jackets, which is why, all other things being equal, shorter men look better in suits.  But this is true no matter what the length of the coat.

As to "the rules": I believe that the only inviolable rule here is that the coat must cover your behind.  Anything less looks feminine.

The other rule is not so much a rule but a principle: everything in proportion.  The problem is: what is the right proportion?  It would be nice if a simple formula like "under the collar to the floor divided by two" worked for every guy.  But it doesn't.   Some have longer torsos, others shorter.  Also: it is true that in general the goal of getting coat length right is to lengthen the leg line.  But that should not be the goal for someone 6'6" who is 3/5 leg and 2/5 torso.  Etc.  In general, the shorter you are, the longer you want the leg line to be.  Hence a ratio of coat-to-trouser that favors the legs is good.  The taller you are, the more you want the ratio to be even.  I don't think anyone benefits from a coat that is more than half their collar-to-floor measurement.

Therefore, the only reliable guide is the eye.  Determine your needs from your height and build, and then try on a ton of coats until you find the length you like.  Then measure it from under the collar along the center backseam.  That's your ideal coat length.  Or let a tailor make you one, and ask him to pin at a few different lengths during the basted stage.  And the length you like best is henceforth your coat length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads