• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Coat Too long? (Pics)

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics are better, but you really need a full body shot and more up close. That said, certainly does not look overly long.

EriQ009

Reaction score
Jacket length is really a matter of personal preference, provided that it is not somewhere in the realm of ridiculously long or comically short. If you like the length where it is, wear with confidence.

minervau

Reaction score
That is actually the right length for a suit, although obviously lower than you'll see in GQ.

2themoon

Reaction score
if you were going to shorten it

1. would you?

2. I was thinking 1/4 inch, would this look acceptable?

f800gs

Reaction score
Yep, the X tells me that it is too tight. Length looks fine.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photographs still not really suitable - have a look at what others do. Your posture looks contrived as well.

Length probably OK but seems tight. Centre vent looks typically awful and shows the pulling. Sleeves difficult to tell at twenty feet.

unclesam099

Reaction score
Jacket looks far too tight in the waist.

Looks OK in the shoulders.

Length looks OK.

Pants still look like they're down too low. Fitz has pretty high rise.

Photos still aren't great. Your posture is off, too, which makes the jacket wrinkle up quite badly.

What is your height? I'm 6'3" and take a ~31" minimum on my jackets, prefer 31.5". Your specs may vary based on your height and ratio of torso to legs.

FillW

Reaction score
update on pics, please tell me what you think

The length looks OK but it's too tight when buttoned up. Like the other guy said. You don't want the "X" creases.

Maybe you can put the camera lengthwise, take closer pics and post them in the "Tailor's" thread for an expert opinion.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads