• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit button preferences for a non-business suit

Sam H

Reaction score
Alright, I'm getting a suit made. It is a double-breasted flannel charcoal high-contrast pinstripe. It is the first suit I'm having made as I usually go for odd jackets (and once, a tuxedo) given the nature of my work-life requiring absolutely no tailored clothes and my personal life consisting of wearing tailored clothing for fun on some weekends in NYC depending on where I am going.

I have an existing conservative business suit from BB so I do not need to worry about "what-ifs" regarding weddings, business, interviews, etc. The rare occurrence of needing a conservative suit versus electively wearing tailored clothes is already covered.

So my question is, what suit buttons do people like? On all my odd jackets, I use various shades of mother of pearl because I love MOP, but with the suit I was planning on going with black or dark brown horn. However, before I do that, are there other choices (besides Corozo which I'm not a huge fan of) for suits that are 100% leisure?

This is a very "city" suit I'm having made being charcoal and vertically striped, with a very slight casualness introduced by the flannel but still very urbane. Is horn the safest bet? Or is there some sort of more fun button that isn't just a complete mistake to choose? For example, is there any precedent using gray or black mother of pearl on a suit not meant for business or would that just be me making a stupid choice that would look extremely out of place?

I'm looking for any sort of photo or existing concept from someone more well-versed that points to this being something that has any sort of real history versus one peacock's personal choice from some seasonal fashion. If there is nothing, then I will just choose a conservative horn and be done with it.

Thank you all for your help!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horn buttons are really the only choice for such a suit.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several shades and smoked MOP.

I use blue MOP on my navy suits. I hate horn, those are too sporty and plastic looking and cheapo rtw looking

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads