• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit brand to buy jacket+matching fabric for making trousers, because cant find damn dbl pl high rise?

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I think he's looking to buy the jacket ready-made but have a matching uncut fabric also supplied so that he can have the trousers made to his specs??

I can't think of anyone that does that. Maybe you could llak Suitsupply into it? Dunno...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he may want to look into made to measure.

I’m not familiar with suit supply but just going off the name, something tells me they don’t want to be “fabric supply”.

bldngwrdrb

Reaction score
Like JJ Katz understood it. I think many suit jacket cuts are alright and they are too expensive to bespoke for me. And MTM seems to go awry alot,even brick mortar. Plus, i am in a bit of a personal recession and also still powerlifting with some way to go. So dream would be OTR jacket,getting same fabric and have matching trouser from local small time bespoke made for between 250-400 euro(thats the qoute when i buy fabric from them so prob less).I know you ideally want to get from same roll, even next fabric cut off the roll, but whatever.

Is it possible to figure out fabric from label and approach the manufacturer?

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like JJ Katz understood it. I think many suit jacket cuts are alright and they are too expensive to bespoke for me. And MTM seems to go awry alot,even brick mortar. Plus, i am in a bit of a personal recession and also still powerlifting with some way to go. So dream would be OTR jacket,getting same fabric and have matching trouser from local small time bespoke made for between 250-400 euro(thats the qoute when i buy fabric from them so prob less).I know you ideally want to get from same roll, even next fabric cut off the roll, but whatever.

Those that try to go cheap end up spending more in the long run. I would strongly suggest:
a) if you're in a "recession", I take that as budget sensitive, you may just have to comprise to keep within budget
b) if you're still actively changing you physique, consider waiting until you are stabilized
c) do it the right way, and find a reputable shop to do MTM
d) shop used/vintage and tailor to fit

If you're just dead set on trying to make this work your way, buy a jacket using a named cloth then buy that cloth for pants. Many brands, Spier & Mackay for instance, will tell you what fabric makers they are using up front.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those that try to go cheap end up spending more in the long run. I would strongly suggest:
a) if you're in a "recession", I take that as budget sensitive, you may just have to comprise to keep within budget
b) if you're still actively changing you physique, consider waiting until you are stabilized
c) do it the right way, and find a reputable shop to do MTM
d) shop used/vintage and tailor to fit

If you're just dead set on trying to make this work your way, buy a jacket using a named cloth then buy that cloth for pants. Many brands, Spier & Mackay for instance, will tell you what fabric makers they are using up front.
+1 for B.

If you're bulking, put it on hold

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell is powerlifting and why would anyone want to do that?
"Powerlifting is a strength sport. The whole point of the sport is to find out just how strong you really are. The basics are incredibly simple. In competition, a powerlifter stands alone on a platform and tries to lift the heaviest weights he is capable of for a single repetition. "

compuccesory

Reaction score
Pini Parma makes suits with double pleated pants, maybe not "high rise" enough for you but not super low rise either which I also hate. They are not enormously expensive for the quality.

bldngwrdrb

Reaction score
Thanks for the spier & mackay tip FH. Waiting for reply from them.

RE. going cheap, the point was that I am happy with many otr-jackets and they are much more expensive to bespoke and even mtm than trousers, and I wanted to try to find out a solution without extremely diminishing benefits in my current position(money,lifting).

Also thanks for reminding about vintage, waiting for local A. Marchesan(Stockholm) to reopen after their move & renovation.

Even developing lifters might wanna look nice and be comfortable. If i can get in at the right price and alter as needed and then flip, i might be able to "lease" it from the market and feel good both sartorially and financially.

Also i am about a 40s with 36-30 legs if anyone has anything interesting to unload ;)

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
OP: I've successfully done this once, where I bought a suit without knowing that the nested trousers would be a bad fit (because...barbells!). The fabric was labeled VBC, so the tailor went through his books and found the exact match in the flannels/woolens book. Problem solved! But this was kind of unusually lucky for me, and a major pain that I only went through because I really liked the jacket. For you, I would suggest just getting a cheaper suit for now, from a lifter-friendly maker. SuSu is out, of course, because I think all their pants are cut for preteen girls, but consider J.Crew. It's like $500 for a suit at MSRP, and the classic fit is surprisingly workable for people who squat and dead. Men's Wearhouse modern fit also works, and are a steal on sale. Brooks Bros regent fit suits might also work, though I've had some sizing consistency issues with the pants.

What the hell is powerlifting and why would anyone want to do that?

Well, one wouldn't have to buy Sexton jackets anymore just to look like a man, for starters. That's big $$ savings right off the bat.

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why dont you just buy a navy/ blue RTW jakcket and get bespoke trousers in grey/ flannel whatever. the blue/ navy jacket and grey pants combi always works.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

OP I just saw your follow-up post and with your goals in mind, this would be a pretty unwise thing to do. Couple of reasons
1. Are you talking about suit separates, and then just getting the jacket and trying to get the pants made separately? If this is the scenario, then it would be way way way easier to just get the RTW pants and have them altered. Bespoke trousers are much more expensive than RTW while yielding relatively little difference in fit, since pants are pants at the end of the day.

2. Or is this more like, you see something that is being sold as a sportcoat only, and you want pants? If so, I take it the SC is in a louder fabric, not your standard navy worsted. If so, are you sure you want a suit out of it? If you're broke right now, it would be so much better to have one cheap workhorse navy or gray worsted suit than a strange suit made out of sportcoat fabric.

3. You are picking up your noob gainz at the gym. The bespoke pants that fit you when you were squatting 100kg and deadlifting 125kg are not going to fit you once you get to respectable #s, like a 200 squat and 230 dead.

4. You can't really flip a RTW suit + bespoke trousers suit for profit. Used tailored clothing sell for pennies on the dollar (which is how iGents can be suit-rich while tax-bracket-poor amirite?) This is especially true for a weird concoction of moderately priced RTW jacket + bespoke pants.

bldngwrdrb

Reaction score
Stuffedsuperdud:

1. Alter pants to higher rise, wider legs, and double pleats?! Easy?! Thanks for taking the time to reply but...what are you talking about?!

2.Some brands sell suit jackets seperately, also one might find "orphaned" suit jackets on ebay from known brands or with know fabric makers.

3.Still ez gains in deadlift, stalling bit in squat bc. shoulder issue, otherwise prob sessionwise gains for a few more weeks, stand press 3kgish per 2 week. 145kg sq, 175dl, 75 stand.press. Goal about 2xBW sq, 2,5BW dl, 1xBW standing press weighing 90-95. Currently 85kg BW. Not competing.

4. Not looking for profit. I said ""lease" from market". Willing to take a cost, just not tooo high. Local lesser know bespoke or mtm for between 210-400(qoutes with fabric so prob less) for trousers.

EDIT:Unless I am really lucky at ebay,sale etc and a precheck with available cloth i should prob skip the suit for now.Don't like to not have dark standard in closet though, but whatever. Stick to odd combo for now. Go with local immigrant bespoke(He does my alterations nicely atleast) or SuSu mtm flannels+ for jacket; sale,trifth, ebay odd jackets, alter if needed, until i hit goal.

If need dark suit for occasion before, buy h&m-like quality/price or similar or rent, or something.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads