• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Advice.......

Goalitalia

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive been a very heavy lurker here and ive decided to grow some and join up. Im a (broke) college student and i think its time to invest in a nice suit. Im trying to stay under $500. A versatile suit where i can wear to interviews, weddings, and formal situations is what im looking for. I live close to minneapolis and im limited to these stores:
Jos. A Banks
Mens W
Off Saks
Brooks Brothers
Macys
Nordstrom Rack

thanks in advance!
smile.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goalitalia
Hey guys, Ive been a very heavy lurker here and ive decided to grow some and join up. Im a (broke) college student and i think its time to invest in a nice suit. Im trying to stay under $500. A versatile suit where i can wear to interviews, weddings, and formal situations is what im looking for. I live close to minneapolis and im limited to these stores:
Jos. A Banks
Mens W
Off Saks
Brooks Brothers
Macys
Nordstrom Rack

thanks in advance!
smile.gif

Hit Off Saks first. Try to find a Corneliani or Canali on deep discount. Much better quality than your other choices. Polo blue label wouldn't be bad. If that doesn't work out, try Nordstrom, then Brooks.

Siggy

Reaction score
I agree that you should hit Off-5th first. But, you should know how a suit should fit you first...maybe they won't have any knowledgeable salesmen at an outlet store like Off-5th.

Some general comments:
If you want versatility, its best to go for a navy blue suit, either solid or pinstripe. If no navy, go for a charcoal gray. While black seems to be very popular, it is not as versatile as these, and would not be a good choice for interviews.

Side vented suit jackets are the most flattering, and are coming back into style.

3 button jackets are best for shorter to average hight, 2 buttons best for tall guys.

Suit should be all wool, or wool and silk or wool and cashmere. No man-made fibres like polyester or nylon.

Off-5th will probably have more higher-end names, like Canali, Corneliani, Valentino, Vestimenta, Hickey-Freeman, and others which should be $500 or less, depends on your luck.

Same for Nordstrom Rack, though they might not have as much higher end stuff.

I'm not too familar with Brooks, but they will only have their suits for sale, which are sack suits generally of a more boxy and conservative cut.

Jos. A. Banks is a decent place for beginner suits. Their signature line and signature gold suits are pretty good. There is almost always a sale going on there, so if you catch them at a sale check out the signature line suits, probably a very good choice for you.

Forget Men's Wearhouse and Macys.

alflauren

Reaction score
DocHolliday's and Siggy's advice is good - if you can't find one of the better quality brands for a discount, Polo, Nordstrom, and Brooks are fine options. At Jos. A. Bank, you might get two suits for not much more than $500, but the quality and look is very hit or miss.

I would think a solid navy suit would fit you just fine. I assume that interviewing is going to be your first priority, so might as well pick something that works well in that role. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from wearing the same suit to other functions. You can change the suit's character with different shirts and ties.

Goalitalia

Reaction score
alflauren, docholliday, and siggy thanks for the invaluable info...im a fairly tall guys so ill see how a 2 button looks vs a traditional 3 button. Ill def. hit up saks first and see if i can pick up a nice navy canali and have it taliored to my bulid and frame. Then ill see what they got a jos a banks.....so a navy suit is more versatile than a black suit?

Siggy

Reaction score
Navy is much better than black. Black is for clubbing, formal dinners, and funerals...not for interviews and not the best choice for business. Navy is good for just about anything.

Goalitalia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
Navy is much better than black. Black is for clubbing, formal dinners, and funerals...not for interviews and not the best choice for business. Navy is good for just about anything.
so siggy let me try to get this straight.... clubbing with a suit?? hell i go out with a nice shirt, dark denim, and some brown leather boots... maybe i need some more help lol....i understand where i would wear a black suit ...but a navy one????

Siggy

Reaction score
Didn't you ever see the Sat. Night Live sketch with the three guys out clubbing slamming into girls asking "you wanna dance"? They all wore suits.
smile.gif

Depends on where you live and where you go, but going out to dinner and then clubbing in a suit is nothing new.

Navy or charcoal are the most versatile, its a simple as that. You can wear these colors anywhere and be properly dressed. Black is not as versatile, but is perfect for evenings out or for funerals.

Siggy

Reaction score
I never checked out H&M suits, but I can't imagine that they are much in quality or would be good for interviews.

If you know your measurements, maybe you'd want to check out the suits from T.M. Lewin in London, which you can see and order on their website. They are supposedly not very expensive and have gotten good reviews.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Zara has recently gotten good reviews for its $350 suits as well. It won't be the quality of the Canali but you might have a wider selection.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid navy. Design details (like flap pockets or besom packets) will determine its versatility. Many of them will be dictated by your physical characterics. Fit needs to be great; if you buy off the rack, get thee to a tailor soon after.

UMass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
Solid navy. Design details (like flap pockets or besom packets) will determine its versatility. Many of them will be dictated by your physical characterics. Fit needs to be great; if you buy off the rack, get thee to a tailor soon after.

I agree it depends on your body type, skintone, hair, eye color.
Some people look great in blue but not grey. Stripes help shorter statures but you will always need a navy suit for both casual and business situations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads