• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Advice in Napoli, SVP

oztin79

Reaction score
Many thanks to collective SF for all your insightful contributions on suits, sarto, Armani, brands hierarchy, etc -- I'm receiving an education here. However, I'm driving my fiance nuts as I've become a bit obsessed with the canvassed/fused issue and the "right suit" in general. She'll probably thank me later, but I need advice from some of you in-the-know so I can make all this culminate in a purchase of a couple of great suits so I can finally move on to obsessing about other things (I saw a thread here called "Hardcore shoe Appreciation"... sounds promising).

I live in Naples, Italy, and am on the cusp of purchasing a couple of Italian suits (to date, I own a couple of reasonable 2010 BB 1818s). I assume almost everyone here would implore me not to be an idiot by buying anything other than a bespoke Neapolitan suit from downtown while it's only a 20-minute drive away, but so far, they're too classically cut for me (I'm slim and early-30s). So I'm trying to find a good compromise between a timeless Napoli bespoke and a high-fashion, disposable Dolce. When I was recently in New York, I tried on a couple Armani Collezionis and have never seen a suit fit me as well as those did, but as I later found out, they're fused and synthetic and therefore not worth the $2k MSRP. I went to the GA here in downtown and tried on a couple of black labels I loved as well, and after Euro conversion (Should I wait for Italy's crashing return to the Lira?), each suit was somewhere around $1,450 (EUR 1,058). That's considerably lower than I expected and I'm tempted.

But then I read how so many folks here generally trash GA (not to mention its diffusion lines), and I don't want to throw down $3k (for two) just to realize in a few months that it was a rookie move.

If you have some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Cheers from bella Napoli!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are fucked up!

oztin79

Reaction score
Vinveritas, no I haven't checked out Napoli Su Misura -- but thanks. I go to Chiaia occasionally so I'll definitely check it out next time I'm over there. Looks very classic from the gallery, though (i.e., broad lapels, etc.).

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But then I read how so many folks here generally trash GA (not to mention its diffusion lines),

Cheers from bella Napoli!

Not me.. I love Giorgio Armani...

..especially his diffusion lines.

Cheers from PR China.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads