• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit advice for a med student.

Tabris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
When you become a doctor, go for a tie-less look. Ties kill people in the hospital and doctors who wear them are being irresponsible.
I wouldn't do that.

When we do rounds now, I'm just in a shirt and trousers if I'm not in scrubs.

Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
maybe he just watched Love and other drugs... he wants to wear a suit to a bar and pick up a hot drug sales rep named "Lisa"
This would be a bonus haha

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now how exactly would you kill somebody with a tie? Other than strangulation (you could use shoes strings for that matter), I have seen some pretty hideous ties in the hospital (and am talking horrible) but that and killing somebody...C'mon.
Now, if you mean by ties spreading germs, all I'm gonna say is just tuck your tie in your pants when examining a patient and wear a white coat.

insolentpup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
Now how exactly would you kill somebody with a tie? Other than strangulation (you could use shoes strings for that matter), I have seen some pretty hideous ties in the hospital (and am talking horrible) but that and killing somebody...C'mon.
Now, if you mean by ties spreading germs, all I'm gonna say is just tuck your tie in your pants when examining a patient and wear a white coat.

Or wear a tie clip!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Judging by your username, you're in the medical profession as well?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, when will you wear this suit? It can only be useful for interviews surely, as you will not really 'need' a suit for day to day clinical work.

Edit: ah never mind, I finally read the other replies...doh. Any dark suit that fits will be fine, fused or canvassed, it won't matter to anyone (except you) at this stage.

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
When you become a doctor, go for a tie-less look. Ties kill people in the hospital and doctors who wear them are being irresponsible.

A bow tie is charming -and unlikely to harbor MRSA.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A doctor friend of mine wore bow ties often as a medical student. He said he was less likely to get that covered in blood or other bodily fluids in the ER and that it gave patients a laugh when they needed one. YMMV.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal

NHS hospital dress code mandates no tie, bare below the elbows, as OP is well aware.

However, there's little compelling evidence for it as you've said. Most NHS "infection control" measures are a combination of common sense, best guess, knee-jerk reaction to negative press & empire-building, in varying amounts.

urymoto

Reaction score
be a total med douche and wear your scrubs all the time, including in the subway...

Zach

Reaction score
The white coats are much worse for bacterial spread than a tie. The coat goes from patient room to patient room and does a fair amount of touching. It's gross.

Also, uses for a suit while in medical school/residency: interviews, conferences, award banquets, etc. You can get by pretty well with a set of ties and button-up shirts, but a suit comes in handy every once in a great while.

Exalt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Again, my medical mates tell me that no-one who's not a professor would ever dare to wear a bowtie in a hospital fwiw.

I think it depends on the institution. I've worn a bow tie on several occasions during rounds. No one hates me... yet.

As for needing suits in medical school... I've found I have worn my suit for research presentations, conferences, and will also wear one during residency interviews.

Zach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hatguy
dress code at mayo is suits/coats

Mayo dress code — suits, ties, no ostentatious jewelry, conservative haircuts, no facial hair or earrings. Even the pharmacists at Saint Marys Hospital, a hospital within the Mayo Clinic system, wear coats and ties.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/about/bestofcare.html

Mayo's dresscode blows. Have fun doing a bone marrow biopsy in a suit. Or draining a pleural effusion. Or doing a rectal exam. Or a pelvic exam. Or seeing patients with lice/scabies. Or...I could go on.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Seriously... you wear a shirt and a tie with a white coat on top while seeing patients on the floor or in clinic. If you're gonna be doing a procedure were bodily fluid spillage is a possibility common sense dictates that you go get in scrubs, an M1 knows that. I wear slacks, shirt and tie for rounds and change in scrubs for procedures.

As to the NHS dress code I can't comment since I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, but sounds like a bunch of rules without a whole lot of evidence behind, kinda like JAHCO here.

So going back to the OP a dark grey suit, black captoe shoes, a conservative tie and a white/light blue shirt will go a long way. Once you are a successful attending you can indulge in all kinds of fancy clothes, just remember that mos of your colleagues are not SF members (I'm being polite here) and the vast majority of your patients don't want to see a doctor wearing all kinds of fancy clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads