• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sugar Cane Shrinkage (1947's)

solzhenitsyn

Reaction score
Any experiences of how much the canes shrunk in length and in the waist? Did you stretch the inseam? I was thinking of trying to pickup some 1947's then cold soak them to get the inseam length down. I searched through some threads, but wasn't able to find an answer.

RCastle

Reaction score
I've got a pair of 34 and 33 inch waist. They shrink to tag size on the waist but they do stretch a bit and then shrink back after washing. Leg length varies between 33 and 34 inch and doesn't shrink anymore after washing. I get the sense from reading these posts that while you can stretch the waist a fair bit, there is nothing you can do about leg length once they've shrunk.

I used to feel I was a standard 32 inch inside leg but I bought a pair of 47s off the Japanese Fantastic Denim Store on Ebay and had a one wash pair of 47s chain stitched to 33 inch inside leg. They turned out perfect. This site is more expensive than most but the chain stitching was good and I got the jeans within a week or ordering.

If you want to avoid shortening the leg length, try Studio D'artisan SD-101s. They are slightly looser on the thigh and arse. You buy them raw but they have a shorter leg length. Mine came out at 33 inch inside leg and are perfect. But they do twist 'the boys' a bit to begin with. If you want something a little more fitted the SD-103 gets a great rap here.

Good luck.

watchman

Reaction score
the inseam seems to not shrink too bad. However, the waist can shrink at least two inches under the tag size. My 34's are now a 32 measured. all depends on how you stretch them

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^how did you measure? back of the waist band or running a tape all the way around? because of the bias of the waist, measuring only the back of the waist band will give you a smaller measurement. my canes(45, not 47) measure true to size, waist and leg, after many washes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads