• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sugar Cane Shrinkage (1947's)

solzhenitsyn

Reaction score
Any experiences of how much the canes shrunk in length and in the waist? Did you stretch the inseam? I was thinking of trying to pickup some 1947's then cold soak them to get the inseam length down. I searched through some threads, but wasn't able to find an answer.

RCastle

Reaction score
I've got a pair of 34 and 33 inch waist. They shrink to tag size on the waist but they do stretch a bit and then shrink back after washing. Leg length varies between 33 and 34 inch and doesn't shrink anymore after washing. I get the sense from reading these posts that while you can stretch the waist a fair bit, there is nothing you can do about leg length once they've shrunk.

I used to feel I was a standard 32 inch inside leg but I bought a pair of 47s off the Japanese Fantastic Denim Store on Ebay and had a one wash pair of 47s chain stitched to 33 inch inside leg. They turned out perfect. This site is more expensive than most but the chain stitching was good and I got the jeans within a week or ordering.

If you want to avoid shortening the leg length, try Studio D'artisan SD-101s. They are slightly looser on the thigh and arse. You buy them raw but they have a shorter leg length. Mine came out at 33 inch inside leg and are perfect. But they do twist 'the boys' a bit to begin with. If you want something a little more fitted the SD-103 gets a great rap here.

Good luck.

watchman

Reaction score
the inseam seems to not shrink too bad. However, the waist can shrink at least two inches under the tag size. My 34's are now a 32 measured. all depends on how you stretch them

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^how did you measure? back of the waist band or running a tape all the way around? because of the bias of the waist, measuring only the back of the waist band will give you a smaller measurement. my canes(45, not 47) measure true to size, waist and leg, after many washes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.6%
  • 31 - 40