• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suck on this, college board

calvin1663

Reaction score
Critical Reading:\t680
\t\t\t\t93%
Math:\t\t\t610
\t\t\t\t76%
Writing:\t\t\t710
\t\t\t\t97%
Multiple Choice:\t66
\t\t\t\t(score range: 20-80)
Essay\t\t\t11 (out of 12)

total score: 2000, essay 11/12

mmmmmmm HOW'S IT TASTE, MONEY GRUBBING COLLEGE BOARD?!?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the new SAT score?

It's been so long since I was in high school with the old SAT that I don't know what to make of these numbers.

jett

Reaction score
in my day the SAT only went up to 1600 and there was a math section and a non-math section. each was worth 800 points, the average score was something like 500. I got a perfect score on the non-math section (99th percentile motherfuckers!) and somewhere around a 600 on the math section. I was not a good student. I remember all the assholes who actually did homework and "studied" were so pissed off when I got a better score than them. I'm pretty sure that if I actually gave a **** back then I could have gotten a perfect score on the math section too, it was more boring than difficult.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
in my day the SAT only went up to 1600 and there was a math section and a non-math section. each was worth 800 points, the average score was something like 500. I got a perfect score on the non-math section (99th percentile motherfuckers!) and somewhere around a 600 on the math section. I was not a good student. I remember all the assholes who actually did homework and "studied" were so pissed off when I got a better score than them. I'm pretty sure that if I actually gave a **** back then I could have gotten a perfect score on the math section too, it was more boring than difficult.

Your day was like 2002?

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Think about it this way: The college board, at maximum, will steal about $500 of your money in AP and SAT testing, once. Your college, on the other hand, will steal up to $50,000, for up to 5 years. Who should you really be angry at?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvin1663
Critical Reading:\t680
\t\t\t\t93%
Math:\t\t\t610
\t\t\t\t76%
Writing:\t\t\t710
\t\t\t\t97%
Multiple Choice:\t66
\t\t\t\t(score range: 20-80)
Essay\t\t\t11 (out of 12)

total score: 2000, essay 11/12

mmmmmmm HOW'S IT TASTE, MONEY GRUBBING COLLEGE BOARD?!?

I'm so far removed from this stuff that those numbers mean nothing to me. (The SAT, LSAT, etc. have all changed their scoring since my day, so I no longer have a baseline for comparison.) I take it, though, that they're excellent scores. Congrats.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Is this the new SAT score? It's been so long since I was in high school with the old SAT that I don't know what to make of these numbers.
It's the same as it's always been (at least for 10 years or so), with a writing section added. Simply add the critical reading and math sections to get the "old" score. Calvin got a 1290 in old score terms. Congrats, Calvin!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
It's the same as it's always been (at least for 10 years or so), with a writing section added. Simply add the critical reading and math sections to get the "old" score. Calvin got a 1290 in old score terms. Congrats, Calvin!

Thanks for making me feel old -- rolling the clock back "at least [] 10 years or so" falls well short getting me to the SAT.
tounge.gif

Back in the day, it was out of 1600, split evenly between "verbal" and math. Is that what you mean by "old score", or was there some intervening maximum score between that and today's system?

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cookieoflife
Think about it this way: The college board, at maximum, will steal about $500 of your money in AP and SAT testing, once. Your college, on the other hand, will steal up to $50,000, for up to 5 years. Who should you really be angry at?

incoming freshmen at my school will be paying $50,000+ for their next 4 years here. Either way, to the OP, well-done.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Thanks for making me feel old -- rolling the clock back "at least [] 10 years or so" falls well short getting me to the SAT.
tounge.gif
Back in the day, it was out of 1600, split evenly between "verbal" and math. Is that what you mean by "old score", or was there some intervening maximum score between that and today's system?

No, you got it right.
biggrin.gif
I only included 10 years because that's as far back as I can remember talking to people about their scores. But I'm nearly certain that the scores were structured this way (1600 max, two sections worth 800 each) going back to the 60s at least. I've heard people say that the test is always designed for an average score of 1000 so theoretically scores should be comparable from back then, but I'm not sure that takes into account the differences in our education system today not to mention the preponderance of advanced placement offerings, SAT prep classes, and the like. FWIW, I got a 1440 (no prep classes for me, thank you) and I can name five kids off the top of my head from my high school that did better than me (including a 1590 and a 1600). But I went to a school with a particularly high concentration of bright kids taking advanced classes and with parents who pushed them to study for the test, a good idea if you want to spend 4 years in the Ivy league. I'm certain that the academic environment of my school the 3 years leading up to the test contributed considerably in a higher than average score.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Sorry, I know I am not the only one who doesn't understand the OP. Suck on what? Is that a good score?
I'm with you. Not a f- clue

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
It's the same as it's always been (at least for 10 years or so), with a writing section added. Simply add the critical reading and math sections to get the "old" score. Calvin got a 1290 in old score terms.

This is wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads