• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style v Comfort

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score

I've read a lot of your posts now, DW, and my conclusion is that you appear to have more money than sense. If you have the cash to burn, as you appear to have, and you have an orthotic issue, why are you even buying multiple pairs of shoes off the shelf? And why are you even asking this question?

Thank you for your considered conclusion which I find insulting and patronising.

If, in your infinite wisdom, you have a better option to propose than buying shoes off the shelf when bespoke isn't an option and I like nice shoes then please be kind enough to share it.

jedwards

Reaction score

I've read a lot of your posts now, DW, and my conclusion is that you appear to have more money than sense. If you have the cash to burn, as you appear to have, and you have an orthotic issue, why are you even buying multiple pairs of shoes off the shelf? And why are you even asking this question?

We need people like this to keep the luxury economy alive for when those who don't buy so frequently still have the opportunity to do so.

Anyway, he is helping reduce the European budget deficit, so leave him be.

Dandy Wonka, carry on good sir!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your considered conclusion which I find insulting and patronising.

If, in your infinite wisdom, you have a better option to propose than buying shoes off the shelf when bespoke isn't an option and I like nice shoes then please be kind enough to share it.

Fly to Singapore. G&G visits there.

Or get your own last made using whatever means accessible to you, send it to Vass.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
We need people like this to keep the luxury economy alive for when those who don't buy so frequently still have the opportunity to do so.

Anyway, he is helping reduce the European budget deficit, so leave him be.

Dandy Wonka, carry on good sir!

Is that really necessary?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like nice shoes, too, but there's not really much point in spending well over $1000 on a pair of shoes when they don't fit you well (ie they aren't really comfortable) or they don't accommodate your orthotics.

I realise that it's difficult to resist the temptation to buy nice things at times (and that it arguably goes against the ethos of StyleForum!), but it's far, far better to wait and to hold on to your money until you can find particular lasts or styles of shoes that suit you best.

As an example, I have a very high instep and so there are certain brands of shoes, and certain lasts, that I simply can't wear. I'd love to, but they just don't fit me and when I tried on shoes, I could tell that it was going to be painful to wear them so even though I've been very tempted at times I know that I just can't buy them. I've also sadly accepted that I can't wear balmoral boots, either, as the combination of balmoral lacing and high boots just doesn't suit my feet at all.

So, rather than buying Lobbs because you like the brand and you like the style, for example, try on multiple styles/lasts from multiple brands until you find a couple of different lasts/styles that will accommodate your feet and your orthotic footplates. This will take time and it will take effort, but in the long run it will definitely be worth it. Perhaps the best option is to save up your shoe budget until you take an overseas holiday to somewhere with lots of choice and then dedicate a day to shoe shopping at that time so that you can really figure out what suits you best.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I like nice shoes, too, but there's not really much point in spending well over $1000 on a pair of shoes when they don't fit you well (ie they aren't really comfortable) or they don't accommodate your orthotics.

I realise that it's difficult to resist the temptation to buy nice things at times (and that it arguably goes against the ethos of StyleForum!), but it's far, far better to wait and to hold on to your money until you can find particular lasts or styles of shoes that suit you best.

As an example, I have a very high instep and so there are certain brands of shoes, and certain lasts, that I simply can't wear. I'd love to, but they just don't fit me and when I tried on shoes, I could tell that it was going to be painful to wear them so even though I've been very tempted at times I know that I just can't buy them. I've also sadly accepted that I can't wear balmoral boots, either, as the combination of balmoral lacing and high boots just doesn't suit my feet at all.

So, rather than buying Lobbs because you like the brand and you like the style, for example, try on multiple styles/lasts from multiple brands until you find a couple of different lasts/styles that will accommodate your feet and your orthotic footplates. This will take time and it will take effort, but in the long run it will definitely be worth it. Perhaps the best option is to save up your shoe budget until you take an overseas holiday to somewhere with lots of choice and then dedicate a day to shoe shopping at that time so that you can really figure out what suits you best.

I think I will take your advice on the day of shoe shopping. I will be in Paris for the June sales next year. It will be the perfect opportunity to do it. Though another issue I haven't mentioned is that I am size 47 so there is usually very little choice on the shelves.

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Fly to Singapore. G&G visits there.

Or get your own last made using whatever means accessible to you, send it to Vass.

I am going to try and convince G & G to continue on to here from one of those trips. Though I am not sure of the market here I can tempt them with.

Interested in the last bit. How do you get your own last made?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to try and convince G & G to continue on to here from one of those trips. Though I am not sure of the market here I can tempt them with.

Do Double Monk in Melbourne Stock G&G? If so, then you might want to get in touch with them to see if they can persuade G&G to come here and do a trunk show. I know that they've already hosted a Cleverley trunk show and perhaps another shoemaker, too.

With regard to having a last made, there aren't many places around that make lasts but if you do a search you might find one or two places in Sydney or Melbourne that could make a last for you. Of course, you'd have to make sure that they took your orthotic into account in making the last otherwise it will only represent your foot, and not the orthotic.

Once you've got your last made, you could then send it off to overseas makers to get them to make a pair of shoes for you.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Thanks Journeyman

Double Monk don't have G & G sadly. That is where the conundrum that started this thread occurred.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that everyone has different feet, but I've found that while I can wear Lobb and Edward Green comfortably, I haven't found a G&G last that fits me well. So you might be disappointed when you finally get around to trying on a pair of G&G.

What's interesting is that I am the exact opposite. Lobb and EG are both way too wide for my feet, though the new EG 890 last works relatively well. As you said, everyone has different feet.

I think I will take your advice on the day of shoe shopping. I will be in Paris for the June sales next year. It will be the perfect opportunity to do it. Though another issue I haven't mentioned is that I am size 47 so there is usually very little choice on the shelves.

It shouldn't be an issue for you in most places. I'm about the same size: 45-47 depending on last/maker, and the only places I've ever had an issue are designer labels, which was mostly for curiosity. You might be able to fit Santoni well, which is available at GL Homme on Haussman. Have you tried Ludwig Reiter?

burghler

Reaction score

Springline can make a last for you.

I'd also look into Antonio Meccariello and Ricardo Bestetti, who are able to make last adjustments without in-person visits. There are threads for each on here.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You say that 'bespoke isn't an option' - yet you must be spending large amounts of money to buy shoes that you admit are hurting your feet (and worse, may, depending on the exact nature of your orthotic problem, be causing you long-term damage).

You might find it 'insulting and patronising' to have this pointed out, but I don't see that a strategy which seems to involve purchasing the most expensive OTR shoes you can find and then complaining that they are uncomfortable makes a lot of sense.

If you were someone who was restricted in your financial means to the lower end of the shoe market, I'd understand the dilemma. But, apart from the fact that you are talking about buying Lobbs, you have plenty of other posts which indicate that you spend large amounts of money on commissions of various kinds. With the resources you apparently have available, bespoke or various kinds of MTM / custom, would seem to be the only sensible option for you. That's why I don't understand why this is even an issue.

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
You say that 'bespoke isn't an option' - yet you must be spending large amounts of money to buy shoes that you admit are hurting your feet (and worse, may, depending on the exact nature of your orthotic problem, be causing you long-term damage).

You might find it 'insulting and patronising' to have this pointed out, but I don't see that a strategy which seems to involve purchasing the most expensive OTR shoes you can find and then complaining that they are uncomfortable makes a lot of sense.

If you were someone who was restricted in your financial means to the lower end of the shoe market, I'd understand the dilemma. But, apart from the fact that you are talking about buying Lobbs, you have plenty of other posts which indicate that you spend large amounts of money on commissions of various kinds. With the resources you apparently have available, bespoke or various kinds of MTM / custom, would seem to be the only sensible option for you. That's why I don't understand why this is even an issue.

Had you read the thread closely instead of trying to analyse me you would see that:

1. I don't say the shoes are uncomfortable (apart from one pair and I am having them stretched) - rather that I think they could be more comfortable; and

2. Bespoke is not an option because of geographical rather than financial reasons.

Perhaps you may want to reconsider your analysis (which has me pegged as a braindead idiot throwing away huge sums of money for the hell of it) having taken into account the above?

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
What's interesting is that I am the exact opposite. Lobb and EG are both way too wide for my feet, though the new EG 890 last works relatively well. As you said, everyone has different feet.
It shouldn't be an issue for you in most places. I'm about the same size: 45-47 depending on last/maker, and the only places I've ever had an issue are designer labels, which was mostly for curiosity. You might be able to fit Santoni well, which is available at GL Homme on Haussman. Have you tried Ludwig Reiter?

I haven't but I will look at them now.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Springline can make a last for you.

I'd also look into Antonio Meccariello and Ricardo Bestetti, who are able to make last adjustments without in-person visits. There are threads for each on here.

Springline are in the UK and Dandy Wonka is in Australia. I realise that this is subjective, but if I were having a last made for me, particularly if I needed orthotic footplates, I'd want to be measured up in person for my lasts. I wouldn't trust that I'd get a good last based on my own tracing and measurements.

The same argument goes for having MTO shoes made remotely. If I'm paying for last modifications, I'd want the shoemaker to be able to measure me up so as to make sure we both understood what the issues were and what needs to be done.

Then again, maybe I'm just overly cautious and don't like to risk wasting my money on things that don't work out.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads