• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style help needed

ether

Reaction score
So, I have an awful casual wardrobe.  Looking for some advice about building it up without spending a fortune.  

Some problems: I'm tall with long arms, enough so that I can't walk into a store and buy a shirt that fits well.  I'm stuck with buying shirts online that come in tall sizes, from J. Crew or the like.  I also have an 'athletic' build so that I  need to wear 'relaxed' trousers, because my thighs are large with respect to my waist.

Basically I'm clueless when it comes to casual clothes.  I need to start from the ground up.  I don't even know what to do for shoes.  Pretty sad, yes?  

Would like to have some decent threads for going around town, and some better ones for going out to bars and clubs.

Any advice?

BjornH

Reaction score
Sorry, I stink at casual but then again I'm blessed with the fact that any sports shirt in small will fit me like a glove. Therefore it's Dieslels and H&M (or Next) short sleeved shirts for me and I seem to get a away with it. Then again, at my age I'm not expected to be hip, cool and trendy when it comes to casualwear.

B

ether

Reaction score
sleeves are 37... just outside of what you can easily get... neck varies, probably 17...

I'm in my early 30's, don't need ultra-hip just want to look good...

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
you just described me. early 30s 16.5/37 it's really not hard to find shirts. granted a lot you see will have 35 sleeves, but i have a ton that work from lorenzini and barbera. it all depends on your budget and how good you are at finding deals, but i'm living that same life and it's not easy, but it's not really hard either

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads