• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff Styleforvm overrates

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This whole thread got me thinking, pouring over all these meticulous details that the wearers themselves probably forget is overrated.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't Land's End used to make an OCBD with a nice roll in a beefier cloth (Hyde Park oxford?)? This would be back when they also sold boomerangs iirc...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The problem I have discovered with Land's End polos is that the collar is thinner so the roll is awful. Just a design flaw based on the two I tried.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Didn't Land's End used to make an OCBD with a nice roll in a beefier cloth (Hyde Park oxford?)? This would be back when they also sold boomerangs iirc...

Originally Posted by srivats
They still make the Hyde Park ...

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
The problem I have discovered with Land's End polos is that the collar is thinner so the roll is awful. Just a design flaw based on the two I tried.

Hyde Park.

- B

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
No answer to one's post #718 query, uninformed?

BB's classic bell shaped curved BD was affected in cloths other than Oxford, so the fabric theory may not be applicable. It probably was a combination of the curved collar end and placement of the collar's buttons on the shirt body as well as the collarband shape and placement of the collarband button. Also, it may have been the looseness of the collar button thread - you read it here and one wants credit for one's Sherlockian observation and the resulting ethernet raiment-forvms fame. When the collarband button was not buttoned the space between the collarband button and first placket button affects and effects its aplomb. As Brooks subcontracted some of its shirtmaking to Gant, etc., seems the "secret" could have been, or was, copied.

This maker hasn't a clue (revered though it may be?). Proper BD buttonholes delve deep into collar points - crossing the collar edge sewing. The grey chambray collar stitching seems a bit pinchpenny (compare to the collar band s.p.i.) and the shell pearl buttons too fey for this type of shirt. The seersucker should have faux pearl or chalk-type buttons. The short sleees too short, instead of half-sleeves, and the fit too trim for a purist. The collar button placement appears UK or European, but the plackets appear U.S. type. Coin toss, leaning Euro, what does one win? Land's End does a better BD and probably better value, even though Honduran.
Originally Posted by srivats

(I'll "reveal" the mystery maker after hearing the opinions - the shirts are all RTW)

3612402724_c201dec29e_m.jpg
3593053427_9c2a9aff2a_m.jpg
BdweV.jpg

xttgW.jpg
FAbYp.jpg
mwLmEl.jpg
Febeq.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
H U N T S M A N

No. 11, Savile Row
London

Edit:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Style Forum Member
Huntsman because it is Huntsman.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Not to
deadhorse-a.gif
, but foofing has jumped the shark. Oh, have I mentioned

Mad Men?

nest.gif

I agree about mad men. I saw the first episode last night downloaded on the iPhone. Don't know what the fuss is about the clothing........the protagonist needed his back neck squaring. I like the colour pallete but then I have always gravitated to the 60s in terms of dress.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I agree about mad men. I saw the first episode last night downloaded on the iPhone. Don't know what the fuss is about the clothing........the protagonist needed his back neck squaring. I like the colour pallete but then I have always gravitated to the 60s in terms of dress.

I like some of the Mad Men clothing well enough, but give me Steed's authentic '60s gear any day. Now that's clothing that swings.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I like some of the Mad Men clothing well enough, but give me Steed's authentic '60s gear any day. Now that's clothing that swings.

Whatever happened to Bailey & Weatherill?

There is always Pierre Cardin.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
H U N T S M A N

No. 11, Savile Row
London

Edit:

It is like the Gangs of New-York on SF...We have the Anderson&Sheppard crew against the Huntsman posse against rhe RA gang against the Rubinacci maffia and so on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads