1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Striped shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by southerncollegeboy, Feb 18, 2004.

1. southerncollegeboy

southerncollegeboy Active Member

I'm pretty sure this topic has been brought up before, but am I the only one that sees the crazy-colored striped dress shirts as being a brief fad? I haven't bought one because I can envision looking at a picture of myself 10 years from now and seeing one of these crazy shirts and regretting it--much like people currently do when they look at pictures of themselves in acid-wash jeans and such.

2. hermes

hermes Senior member

it's pretty well over in europe, to some degree

i've noticed that although stripes are still in, they are more subdued and subtle than the really loud items that are being pushed in north america right now

there are exceptions though, such as etro and paul smith

3. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

If you like them, jump on it but don't expect them to last long, fashionwise. The crazy ones already look dated on my side of the pond so I wouldn't spend large money. Buy them at Zara or someother place that won't have you loose your shirt (oh I'm so clever.)

B

4. Yosarian77

Yosarian77 Well-Known Member

Can't say that I'll ever be disappointed with a Paul Smith striped shirt.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

6. Classic

Classic Senior member

IMO, the issue is whether or not you like them.
    Some definitely have the "fad" look for my tastes and so I shy away from them. But a couple did catch my eye, enough so to make me want to buy them. Will I wear them a year from now? Who knows. Sometimes you have to do what feels right for the moment, provided it is legal and hurts no one.
    And who among us can look back at some pictures from our past without saying "what was I thinking?".
    I say, if you like them, then go for it.

7. southerncollegeboy

southerncollegeboy Active Member

That brings me to another question...and I may be the only one, but when I get clothes I try to look ahead and see if this will be a thing that I can wear for a while and, more importantly, that I won't regret two or three years from now. Of course, that may be because I'm a college Resident Assistant who doesn't get paid much, and don't have the money to take a jump on a trend (that admittedly does look really good right now).
    I do go with the trends, with fit and some styles, but I don't want a "Hammer-pants" moment.
    But again, I may the be the only one.

8. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

You aren't the only one thininking ahead. I try to make sure I'm not just purchasing on a whim and that I'll want to wear an article of clothing many times. After all, if you take a $40 shirt and wear it 40 times over a couple of years, it only cost you $1/outing.