• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Striped shirts

southerncollegeboy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this topic has been brought up before, but am I the only one that sees the crazy-colored striped dress shirts as being a brief fad? I haven't bought one because I can envision looking at a picture of myself 10 years from now and seeing one of these crazy shirts and regretting it--much like people currently do when they look at pictures of themselves in acid-wash jeans and such.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's pretty well over in europe, to some degree

i've noticed that although stripes are still in, they are more subdued and subtle than the really loud items that are being pushed in north america right now

there are exceptions though, such as etro and paul smith

BjornH

Reaction score
If you like them, jump on it but don't expect them to last long, fashionwise. The crazy ones already look dated on my side of the pond so I wouldn't spend large money. Buy them at Zara or someother place that won't have you loose your shirt (oh I'm so clever.)

B

Yosarian77

Reaction score
Can't say that I'll ever be disappointed with a Paul Smith striped shirt.

Classic

Reaction score
IMO, the issue is whether or not you like them.
Some definitely have the "fad" look for my tastes and so I shy away from them. But a couple did catch my eye, enough so to make me want to buy them. Will I wear them a year from now? Who knows. Sometimes you have to do what feels right for the moment, provided it is legal and hurts no one.
And who among us can look back at some pictures from our past without saying "what was I thinking?".
I say, if you like them, then go for it.

southerncollegeboy

Reaction score
That brings me to another question...and I may be the only one, but when I get clothes I try to look ahead and see if this will be a thing that I can wear for a while and, more importantly, that I won't regret two or three years from now. Of course, that may be because I'm a college Resident Assistant who doesn't get paid much, and don't have the money to take a jump on a trend (that admittedly does look really good right now).
I do go with the trends, with fit and some styles, but I don't want a "Hammer-pants" moment.
But again, I may the be the only one.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
You aren't the only one thininking ahead. I try to make sure I'm not just purchasing on a whim and that I'll want to wear an article of clothing many times. After all, if you take a $40 shirt and wear it 40 times over a couple of years, it only cost you $1/outing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads