• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stove-top Sous Vide

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this on a few different threads, so first, sorry about reposting some of this information. I wanted to document my experiments with sous vide cooking sans equipment.

I happened across this blog post followed the technique yesterday to sous vide some eggs. http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/...best-duck.html

I'll take some pics of how I set it up today when I try something else for dinner, but basically took a Le Creuset pot, filled it with hot water, threw in a silicon pad in the bottom for extra insulation, hung a digital probe thermometer in the water. The water out of the tap was like 138F, and I needed to get to 148F, so I put it on about 3 on the stove top to get it to temp. Once there, I dropped the heat down to low. Adding the eggs dropped the temp a little, so I adjusted it over the next 15 minutes or so to find a balance, and then let the eggs cook for about an hour at 148F. Dropped them in a tepid water bath for 10 minutes, then peel and washed away the whites, and got these pictures below:

Just yolk with white cleaned off:
5540272359_b353f4cea5.jpg

Cut open:
5540274389_9b8e16612a.jpg

Bread crumbed & pan fried:
5540274385_f784b5f10b.jpg

Tonight, I'm making the sous vide duck breast in the blog post, and will document the process. We'll see if I can recreate the delicious texture!

c.JPG

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Very cool! Well done.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is way too well done for a yolk IMO. Try a degree less.

Edit - On second thought, it needs to be that thick in order to be workable in that way, which is why this is a better thing to do with a mollet egg than a sous vide yolk. That degree of yolk cooking can't have a good feel in the mouth.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That is way too well done for a yolk IMO. Try a degree less.

Edit - On second thought, it needs to be that thick in order to be workable in that way, which is why this is a better thing to do with a mollet egg than a sous vide yolk. That degree of yolk cooking can't have a good feel in the mouth.

The plain yolk in the picture above had the mouthfeel of custard and was actually good on a toast point. The pan fried yolk was just a touch harder, but was still good. Next time I will deep fry them as the recipe calls for, to create a better crust.

This is the recipe that I was following (loosely):
http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/09/d...ide-egg-yolks/

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
The plain yolk in the picture above had the mouthfeel of custard and was actually good on a toast point. The pan fried yolk was just a touch harder, but was still good. Next time I will deep fry them as the recipe calls for, to create a better crust.

This is the recipe that I was following (loosely):
http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/09/d...ide-egg-yolks/

Yeah, 64.5 is too high in my opinion. It makes for an almost modeling clay like texture. 63.5 is the best for eating, but you can't then manipulate them as easily.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yeah, 64.5 is too high in my opinion. It makes for an almost modeling clay like texture. 63.5 is the best for eating, but you can't then manipulate them as easily.

Would you eat one cooked at 63.5 as you would a poached egg?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Would you eat one cooked at 63.5 as you would a poached egg?
Pretty much. I mean, it is different than poached, because the white doesn't firm up much.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duck breasts are in.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Duck breasts are in.
Looking forward to pictures!

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Setup. I'm cooking with the top partially on to help maintain temp, but took it off for the photo :
5544070903_a7ece3f80e.jpg
Sous chef Frank:
5544070907_dc0b93ef2b.jpg
Flickr is acting weird, so if the 2 pictures don't show, just refresh.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah, doing the same thing with a duck breast right now. Just seasoned it and letting it marinade for a bit before putting it into the pot.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Sous chef Frank:
5544070907_dc0b93ef2b.jpg

I have the same type of sous chef. The kind that just sits and stares at you the whole time you're cooking waiting for something to drop on the floor.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Hah, doing the same thing with a duck breast right now. Just seasoned it and letting it marinade for a bit before putting it into the pot.

Can you take some photos? I'd be interested to see how your experience turns out.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Can you take some photos? I'd be interested to see how your experience turns out.

I'll attempt to. I must forewarn you, I've never cooked duck breast before but as this method seems basically fool proof, I have high hopes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads