• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sterling Silver Care Guide (Instead of Polishing)

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The problem with POLISHING silver is that you are actually removing the very top layer of silver. The process I have described minimizes this by turning the silver that's in the silver oxide (tarnish) back into elemental silver. I have a polishing cloth from *Fire and Ice* which I use lightly to get the final sheen. It's a night/day difference in effort and result.

Do you think this method would also work with warm water? I assume you would have to leave it sit longer. There are some fairly intricate pieces of plate that the butler is always grousing about. I am not sure how they would react to the thermal stress of boiling.

But this is really great and I am going to boil my cuff links as soon as I get home!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quote:
(1) Have tried this on a .925 pair with a stone inlay. No problemo.
What stone was it? They are a diverse bunch and I would be careful with some of them.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Stone mosaic. Various small pieces. Will post photos in a day or two. Agree that I wouldn't risk most stones.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Last edited:

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the Silverstar I once worked a summer at Mc.D. and when I came home around three A.M. the commercial was on, most nights.

I am joking, it's al electrochemistry.

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a reliable source: http://www.silversmithing.com/care.htm

TLDR version: the electrochemical method is good for light tarnish, but not so good for heavy tarnish. May scratch silver or pit it if you are not careful. Does not discriminate between factory applied patina and plain tarnish - e.g. OP's GJ pieces. And NEVER EVER use toothpaste.

Last edited:

Fred H.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link and the info. I've had tremendous success with my methods, but understand the issues discussed. In my experience it IS possible to remove heavy tarnish AND I have never lost the factory applied "tarnish" (color) on things such as WWII wings. -- Fred H.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I agree you did a great job cleaning your pieces! Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I was referring to the loss of tarnish in the 'valleys' between the silver wires in your GJ tie clip - IMO having the black outline the silver aids in highlighting the elegance of the design, and IMO again is one of the charms (and thus the point) of getting something in silver. No worries though, I'm sure it'll return in time.

BTW, have you used anything on your silver pieces to keep them from tarnishing? :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics