• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefano Ricci

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomaus247
Style is in the eye of the beholder. The construction of the tie is excellent, and I would assume that the silk is some of the finest from Como. I like the style, although I can't say that I would buy it. So, the market will tell if it is worth $200. If SR sells all the silk they bought for that pattern, then it was good. If the retailer sells most of that pattern that they bought at full price, then they will most likely buy one similar for next season.
You misunderstand me. I love dots. I think they are a classic and a staple to any wardrobe. My point is that SR did not design the concept there. Its a solid blue with a white polka dot. Assuming the silk is the FINEST that como has to offer, does that mean that the tie is now worth 200 dollars? If I was selling the EXACT SAME TIE would you pay 200 dollars for it? WOuld you pay 150? 100? How much are you willing to pay simply because the name on the BACK of the tie is Stefano Ricci?

thomaus247

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
I just hit one of his boutiques recently, and wow! Is anybody alive doing more to preserve the tackiness that was 1980s Beverly Hills? This guy still sells the low gorge, loooooooooooooooooooooooong jackets, the matching stripes on the collar and tie and all of that awful exotic skin junk.

Does anybody here ever buy Ricci? What the heck am I missing?

I, sorry, but you know who is buying this stuff? Really rich older guys. The guys with the big yachts, the ones parked in the harbor at Monaco, the ones driving around in Ferrari's with hot younger girls...etc. They are the ones who are preserving the "80's style" not the retailers. YOu know how much money a retail shop like Battaglia or SR makes, a lot. I know first hand that they were doing real well with the tacky velour sweatsuits, that they sold for $300 to $1000. But they took those out, because when folded, one sweatsuit took up the space of about five silk/cashmere sweaters, which sold for the same price!

TM

thomaus247

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
You misunderstand me. I love dots. I think they are a classic and a staple to any wardrobe.

My point is that SR did not design the concept there. Its a solid blue with a white polka dot. Assuming the silk is the FINEST that como has to offer, does that mean that the tie is now worth 200 dollars?

If I was selling the EXACT SAME TIE would you pay 200 dollars for it? WOuld you pay 150? 100? How much are you willing to pay simply because the name on the BACK of the tie is Stefano Ricci?

I understand your point, but, there are many people willing to pay that much for a tie they could probably find somewhere else, from a different manufacturer, for less. It could be because they prefer to only shop on Rodeo or Worth avenue. It could be because they have enough money to buy SR, and know without doubt the quality and the prestige. Also, as you get more money, your time is more valuable, and you don't want to shop around.

I don't think the tie is a rip-off, there is inherent prestige in the line, that SR has built up (Like RL), and there is quality in it. Yes, you might find one just like it for less, but that customer wants the prestige brand that they know.

TM

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your point, but, there are many people willing to pay that much for a tie they could probably find somewhere else, from a different manufacturer, for less. It could be because they prefer to only shop on Rodeo or Worth avenue. It could be because they have enough money to buy SR, and know without doubt the quality and the prestige. Also, as you get more money, your time is more valuable, and you don't want to shop around.

I don't think the tie is a rip-off, there is inherent prestige in the line, that SR has built up (Like RL), and there is quality in it. Yes, you might find one just like it for less, but that customer wants the prestige brand that they know.

TM

Of course. Prestige is certainly something, but does Prestige create VALUE?

This is an old question I have put forth here before. How much is a brand name worth to you? A 10% premium? 20%? 200%? (Dont kid yoursel, there is NO TYPICALLY CONSTRUCTED TIE IN THIS WORLD that costs 100 dollars to make)

Yes there is Advertising, Rents other Overhead and in order to buy the Brand Unique Designer ties I can understand it, but does it make sense to foot the bill for a classic tie that can be found most anywhere?

thomaus247

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree, although all of that intricate detail is what I like least in their ties.

Do you have any idea when the tie industry had the great idea of convincing the buying public that the cheapest ties to produce (wovens) were somehow preferable to and of higher quality than the more expensive technique of printing?

Wovens are more popular, I don't know why. SR is know for their prints. Also, like most of the high quality mfg's, like Artioli..etc. they have a big market overseas, United Emirates, Japan. So their style is not aimed directly at the U.S.

TM

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
For somone who has never been to LA or BH could someone post a picture of that BH look?
Now it is just jeans and a t-shirt.

Used to be Eurotrash plus. A lot of stuff that would go nice with the things you post like those shoes and watch. Also that atrocious overcoat you like with the fur collar. Maybe check out Ricci for yourself.

thomaus247

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Of course. Prestige is certainly something, but does Prestige create VALUE?

This is an old question I have put forth here before. How much is a brand name worth to you? A 10% premium? 20%? 200%? (Dont kid yoursel, there is NO TYPICALLY CONSTRUCTED TIE IN THIS WORLD that costs 100 dollars to make)

Yes there is Advertising, Rents other Overhead and in order to buy the Brand Unique Designer ties I can understand it, but does it make sense to foot the bill for a classic tie that can be found most anywhere?

Right, I don't disagree with your reasoning, but that is the way it is. There are those that will pay for the lable. Wether it be Armani, where you are buying very little quality, RL the same with some of their lines (some are getting better), Brioni, where you have a lot of quality, but also a huge fee for the label, or SR. And again, if the market will hold, the prices continue up. We do a lot of private label, which delivers the quality at a "reasonable" cost. We have agreements with shirt factories down in Citta Di Castello in Italy. We buy the fabrics from Alumo, Sic Tess...and have it shipped down there. We sell the shirts from $125 to $225 under our Solemare label, and it is a great shirt. But we also blow out the Brioni shirts... Zegna is a good example. We know the Mills their fabrics come from, and I can't believe the price of their shirts. Yet we sell them well.

Shoppers can vote with their feet. My freinds, being younger (relativley speaking) would rather shop around and buy goiod quality on sale. But as I said earlier, there is an econmomic curve, that shows as your income increases, your time available decreases, and you start shopping on Rodeo drive for $275 ties. We have one in our Holiday catalog (out soon) from Brioni, with some kind of thread woven into it. These lines (and the shops also) provide the exclusivity that that customer is used to in their lives.

I am enjoying this thread, but I am supposed to be hopping in the shower, so I can help to feed the kids, because I have some people coming over in an hour to watch the Dolphins (fellow gluttons of punishment).

TM

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although we sell a lot of them, most of the prints are not to my liking.

Are you with Maus & Hoffman?

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
Now it is just jeans and a t-shirt.

Used to be Eurotrash plus. A lot of stuff that would go nice with the things you post like those shoes and watch. Also that atrocious overcoat you like with the fur collar. Maybe check out Ricci for yourself.

What's all this about? How did I get into the Iraqui corner?!?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Great store! I have a lot of your products and they're all top-notch!
smile.gif

r. rafael

Reaction score
I have a couple of these ties. They contain a lot of silk, they are long, they are thick, and they feel as though they are worth the price. It's convenient to buy them at Neiman Marcus.
By the way, there is a profile of SR and his two sons in the most recent Neiman Marcus Book which I got last week. There are also video clips of him in the Neiman Marcus 100th anniversary section of their website. He's somewhat comical--not what I expected.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads