• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steering my friend away from  black plastic shoes

aybojs

Reaction score
I have to question the style of the ladies who tell him they like bulky, square-toed shoes. The ladies I know that have any kind of fashion sense stopped wearing square toes shoes 5 years ago.

Look at it this way. The more guys wearing those bulky square shoes, the more unique it makes us guys who know better and don't wear them.
Your average woman is just as clueless about fashion and clothing as your average man, it's just that the women like to act like they know something and dispense bad advice as a result, whereas most men just avoid the topic entirely. I guess this might have some general basis in gender stereotyping, as you're wont to find the average man making a claim know about, say, computers or other gadgets when he really doesn't.

bch

Reaction score
Guys, let me say I don't like the shoes being discussed. But are we really the final arbiters on what is "fashionable"? They sell a lot of these kind of shoes, after all, which to my mind makes them "fashionable," though heinous to my eye they may be.

And since when did the posters on this board claim to be experts on "fashion" anyway? This is the STYLE forum.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Guys, let me say I don't like the shoes being discussed.  But are we really the final arbiters on what is "fashionable"?  They sell a lot of these kind of shoes, after all, which to my mind makes them "fashionable," though heinous to my eye they may be.  

And since when did the posters on this board claim to be experts on "fashion" anyway?  This is the STYLE forum.
1. Yes.

2. Always.

Heinous is as heinous does.

Heinousness precluding fashionability.

Now eat the lamb.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your average woman is just as clueless about fashion and clothing as your average man, it's just that the women like to act like they know something and dispense bad advice as a result, whereas most men just avoid the topic entirely.
i don't know about this. i would say, on average, women can 1) coordinate color better than men, 2) present a more consistent and noticable style, and 3) look better. this is of course comparing averages.. not at all comparing the average women's idea of men's fashion/style to that of the average forum member. although, i will somewhat agree that women may not know fashion of their own and do religiously follow trends they see; however, i think women more effectively integrate trends with their own style.

when a woman enters the realm of men's fashion and style.. things change. women may not have the uncanny ability to take a trend (say square shoes), and effectively integrate it into her man's wardrobe. or she may not be as keen on the passing of said trend. also, ive noticed how women simply don't care as much about men's dress. if they see their man wearing crappy jeans and black square toed shoes out on the town, they don't get bothered by it.. hell, he's a man, right? he isn't supposed to know what he's doing.

just my observations..

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would say, on average, women can 1) coordinate color better than men, 2) present a more consistent and noticable style, and 3) look better.
1) Probably. 2) Probably. 3) Very highly debatable. When I was a callow teen, 15 to 20 years ago, women seemed to dress better. These days, however, egalitarianism reigns in dress: everyone is equally slovenly. I wish it were otherwise but everyone looks like they dressed in the dark out of their dirty clothes hamper.

aybojs

Reaction score
These days, however, egalitarianism reigns in dress: everyone is equally slovenly. I wish it were otherwise but everyone looks like they dressed in the dark out of their dirty clothes hamper.
I'd have to agree that a well-dressed girl, especially at my (university) age is just as rare as a well-dressed guy. Anyone making the claim that women dress better or know more about clothing/fashion/style/whatever should go back to that New York Magazine section spotlighting various looks and remember that the vast majority of horrible fashion victims in that column are women. They may be interested in clothing, but would you want any of them telling you how you should dress or look?

sam

Reaction score
I'd have to agree that a well-dressed girl, especially at my (university) age is just as rare as a well-dressed guy. Anyone making the claim that women dress better or know more about clothing/fashion/style/whatever should go back to that New York Magazine section spotlighting various looks and remember that the vast majority of horrible fashion victims in that column are women. They may be interested in clothing, but would you want any of them telling you how you should dress or look?
I thought many of those looks were appropriate for those profiled. Sure they weren't "well-dressed", per se, but are infinitely more interesting than the khakis and blue shirt crowd.

As for women being better dressed, they generally are. It's because they have to be in the dating game. There's also a hierarchy of how women compare themselves to each other and a lot of that has to do with how they look. (Men, generally, compare themselves to other men on money and sexual prowess).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(aybojs @ May 26 2005,15:22) I'd have to agree that a well-dressed girl, especially at my (university) age is just as rare as a well-dressed guy. Anyone making the claim that women dress better or know more about clothing/fashion/style/whatever should go back to that New York Magazine section spotlighting various looks and remember that the vast majority of horrible fashion victims in that column are women. They may be interested in clothing, but would you want any of them telling you how you should dress or look?
I thought many of those looks were appropriate for those profiled. Sure they weren't "well-dressed", per se, but are infinitely more interesting than the khakis and blue shirt crowd. As for women being better dressed, they generally are. It's because they have to be in the dating game. There's also a hierarchy of how women compare themselves to each other and a lot of that has to do with how they look. (Men, generally, compare themselves to other men on money and sexual prowess).
And the sexual prowess of their money... Jon.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl,May 26 2005,14:54
i would say, on average, women can 1) coordinate color better than men, 2) present a more consistent and noticable style, and 3) look better.
1) Probably. 2) Probably. 3) Very highly debatable. When I was a callow teen, 15 to 20 years ago, women seemed to dress better. These days, however, egalitarianism reigns in dress: everyone is equally slovenly. I wish it were otherwise but everyone looks like they dressed in the dark out of their dirty clothes hamper.
(briancl @ May 26 2005,14:54) i would say, on average, women can 1) coordinate color better than men, 2) present a more consistent and noticable style, and 3) look better.
1) Probably. 2) Probably. 3) Very highly debatable.
I disagree. Dressed better or worse (and best is not at all) Women do look better. At least to me.
devil.gif

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Some of the blame for the enduring popularity of these awful shoes can be blamed on the horrible shoes salespeople and self-serve rack stores that are a reality of the modern retail world.  

Salespeople these days rarely measure feet and in the case of rack stores offer no assistance unless you're ready to pay.  Left to one's own devices, the averge person usually picks the wrong size, either by trying on stuff until they wind up with something long enough or wide enough to fit somewhat.  

Square-toed shoes by nature have bigger toe-boxes, so people with wide feet (or those wearing shoes too small) tend to like them becaue they can wear a smaller size (or at least the size that's on sale).  

Rather than invest in decent salespeople who know how to fit shoes and can gauge style a little better, retailers sit behind their central computers and determine that square-toed plastic shoes are selling and order more of them.  Thus the circle is unbroken.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too, have a friend that's rather well-off and aside from his taste in watches and shoes is very discerning. I'm slowly corrupting him from those clunky monstrosites to something more befitting his penchant for Brioni suits. It's hard work, but I'm wearing him down slowly, heh.
As far as women liking those types of shoes, my ex, once I introduced her to Lobb, immediately noticed the difference (I also corrupted her with Kiton/Borrelli, heh).

koji

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you check out the posts on SF at the very beginning, you'll notice that Kenny Cole used to be quite popular here.  Now it's Vass, Edward Green, Grenson, and C&J Handgrade.  Maybe we're just ahead of the curve.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anikin/Vader did not go INTO the lava, he just caught fire BY lava
I thought it was his HATE that burned him up.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I thought it was his HATE that burned him up.
Yeah, well, I thought he was "seduced by the dark side", not flummoxed by a bad dream.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads