• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steaks onLine

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Try Bryan's, it is great.

I have another secret source, great beef at low, low prices, but I am not telling.
devil.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
stop buying your meat at the grocery store. find a decent butcher....

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ed knows a lot about meat markets in Chelsea.
crazy.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Ed knows a lot about meat markets in Chelsea.
crazy.gif

Even better, it's in the Meatpacking district.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Florence is on Jones St. - that the Village....
mwink[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am going to go visit this place after my next cooking class.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Brandt offers regular folks a limited selection, but it is pretty damn good beef:

http://www.brandtbeef.com/

- B

Yeah, but if I am going to order online, I would prefer to get grass fed, which I cannot get locally.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atomicranch
Or, as unjung suggests, buy a cow. It isn't hard to find a farm that offers grass-fed that will sell you one.
I don't know why but this is making me totally crack up. The act of typing in "cow" in a for sale search engine... weird. http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/grd?query=cow Turns out some of them are pretty cheap... no idea what kind makes good steaks though.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
A steak gourmand once told me that one of the best values in steaks is the Costco "Prime" stuff that they have on their site and in some stores. I know it sounds like a joke but this guy really knows his stuff.
Their steaks are really good. As good as I have had for normal, non-boutique type steaks. I don't know how they keep it fresh, because at the end of the day, they don't seem to have sold all their steaks, yet the next day, they have new steaks out and they are clearly not a day old.
Originally Posted by Astan
how exactly would you check the marbling if you buy online. theres so much you would lose out on. its not like clothes its something you really need to view in person to evaluated whether you should buy it or not. go to a specialty butcher they will have some great choices i think you'd be surprised.
This is exactly why I would avoid buying online, unless they have a guaranteed reputation like Lobel's. I can go to to the grocery store and choose between a decadent marbled ribeye and a tough, nearly all red one, it's a big difference.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yeah, but if I am going to order online, I would prefer to get grass fed, which I cannot get locally.

Nearly all beef cattle are "grass fed." How the final fattening comes in the feedlot can range all over the map.

I really concentrated on sampling a wide range of the best grass fed beef in the world, which I feel is raised in Argentina, when I was there last year. I came away from that concluding that when it came to steak, each form of finishing has its merit and demerits.

The Brandt beef is finished very carefully, with lots of attention to quality control. I think that is an important factor in how good the meat is.

I'm surprised you can't get grass fed beef locally...they're relatively common in the supermarkets here, e.g., the monopoly Whole Foods.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The closest Whole Foods to me is in White Plains and I don't get there that often. In DC I shopped there a lot, and they always had grass fed beef.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Prather Ranch.

Do you like them better than Bryan's?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads