• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staple Clothing Going on Sale

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently tried out a Loro Piana Roadster Pull (1/4 zip) in a beautiful oatmeal as well as red. They retail for 625 at NM. Should I expect that this will go on sale at the end of the season? My interest in clothes as well as my financial position were completely different a year ago, and as such, I wasn't anywhere near a Saks or NM attempting to buy sweaters.

This extends generally to luxury goods, like a cashmere 1/4 zip, that is very traditional and will probably not be changing TOO significantly in the near future, as with a solid navy Kiton SB 3B or what have you.

Is there any sort of magical function which will tell me if and when certain items will go on sale? I'd assume not but perhaps some of the more experienced shoppers could assist here.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Usually Neimans does a sale around Thanksgiving. Get to know them and they will keep you informed and go on the morning of the first day, ideally during a work week. I've bought 14 Micron Kiton suits there for under $2K. Sometimes however Neimans will shuffle the merchandise around so your local store may get Atlanta or Dallas goods...seems like this would add cost, but maybe they do it to avoid upsetting those that purchased full retail.

Ties are easily be 40-60% off at Last Call. I have not seen as much Loro Piana on sale at the Atlanta store but it happens. Usually more in the 20-25% range than 40-60%. Things move fast however. Get there early is my best advice.
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Usually Neimans does a sale around Thanksgiving. Get to know them and they will keep you informed and go on the morning of the first day, ideally during a work week. I've bought 14 Micron Kiton suits there for under $2K. Sometimes however Neimans will shuffle the merchandise around so your local store may get Atlanta or Dallas goods...seems like this would add cost, but maybe they do it to avoid upsetting those that purchased full retail.

Ties are easily be 40-60% off at Last Call. I have not seen as much Loro Piana on sale at the Atlanta store but it happens. Usually more in the 20-25% range than 40-60%. Things move fast however. Get there early is my best advice.
smile.gif

For a minute I thought you said you'd bought 14 Kiton suits there... do they have a lot of models of Kiton at your NM?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought Loro Piana sweaters on sale for 40% off at NM in ATL before, though not for the past 3 or so years. In staple colors such as heathered grey, and red, and not some of their odder colorways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads