• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

square-toed black shoes

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
I don't know if I'd agree with the whole "objective aesthetic" argument. Just based on what we know from history, fashion seems to be one of the things that changes frequently. Who is to say what looks objectively better? Most of it is just social norms and subjective beliefs. Square toed shoes are still very popular sellers so a lot of people still wear them and they don't buy them thinking "my god these are objectively ugly but oh well...." Of course, there are some styles that will stand the test of time better than others. Maybe squared toes fit into this category. Aesthetics are almost always subjective.
Are you a fan of Hegel?

metaphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Are you more keen on analytical philosophy?

God, no. The analytics were boring, failed to accomplish much, and did a lot to make people think that philosophy is irrelevant.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metaphysician
God, no. The analytics were boring, failed to accomplish much, and did a lot to make people think that philosophy is irrelevant.
Yes, in succinct terms, it took the human element out of philosophy. Although their logical modifications were fairly compelling. They are the dominant academic force today; Transcendental Idealism is outdated.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dare-
I think he copped out when he said "almost always"

It's called hedging, perfectly acceptable. It's a backdoor.

metaphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
They are the dominant academic force today; Transcendental Idealism is outdated.

I don't know about that. The humanities have turned to French theory and the progeny of Adorno and Horkheimer; Rorty dealt analytic philosophy a couple of black eyes with The Linguistic Turn and Philosophy in the Mirror of Nature and managed to rekindle interest in pragmatism. Communitarian political philosophy is enjoying an extended period of time in the sun. Analytic philosophy is on its last legs, IMHO.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metaphysician
I don't know about that. The humanities have turned to French theory and the progeny of Adorno and Horkheimer; Rorty dealt analytic philosophy a couple of black eyes with The Linguistic Turn and Philosophy in the Mirror of Nature and managed to rekindle interest in pragmatism. Communitarian political philosophy is enjoying an extended period of time in the sun. Analytic philosophy is on its last legs, IMHO.
French theory has been a mainstay of universities ever since it was introduced hence the surfeit of feminist courses and related studies.

However, it seems Kant is seeing a resurgence in aesthetic circles because of the extended ambiguity and some of the nonsense contemporary art has doled out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads