• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sporty socks, but long?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When not wearing business/ceremony-appropriate tailoring I (would) really like to wear these kinds of socks:

image_807

image_807

But due to Italian childhood brainwashing I have an insurmountable aversion towards socks that don't go up over the calf. And here's my problem: nobody seems to make good marled/sporty socks higher than crew length, i.e. below the calf. Any leads?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you want over the calf sport socks? :confused2:

if you really have to, i guess you can look at soccer socks. or the stuff at american apparel. but ... this for regular wear seems really dorky.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact I have some from AA, but they're not as nice as the ones above. I even bought some kilt hose and some technical long work socks, but they're not quite what I'm after. It's a psychological/class thing: unless I'm playing tennis, I just can't wear short socks. Ask any middle class Italian (Italian-Italian, not Italian-American) man and you'll get the same answer, I promise.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify. What am I wearing right now? Vintage NB runners, chunky pleated cords, a Barba RTW shirt, a The Gigi knit jacket. And some American Apparel long varsity socks. I don't even care if they fall down -- in fact I like it because then the varsity stripes would show. But I still simply can't see myself wearing socks that won't stretch above my calf. Sorry.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have over the calf heavy wool socks in bright colors
which I wore with knickers for cross country skiing.
Purchased over 30 years ago when they were widely available
in colors and patterns. Knickers have fallen out of favor
for this sport, at least in CA the last time I went 7-8 years ago.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I also have some patterned Norwegian socks. But there's still the problem of summer.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I hear you on the OTC issue. In the UK, the tragic "mezza calzetta" is absolutely the norm but in Italy it's JUST NOT DONE.

I can't see the image in your OP, right now, but Pedemeia (Portuguese co.) sells some nice lisle-cotton (filo di Scozia) OTC socks with patterns and plains in bright colours. They are pretty good quality and very affordable.

I have not seen 'ragg'/'marled' or bold-stripe socks in light weight and OTC but there is a US website (cannot remember name) that makes lightweight argyle socks in all sorts of colours, if you're willing to frighten the horses / set small children bawling.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Katz. Finally a sympathetic ear. I've found that another solution is women's welly socks -- thankfully my feet aren't huge.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did live a decade in Blighty. Fusion style requires compromises in the hosiery dept, apparently. The result is this:

7._Packshot_Accesoires_182_FOLEY_STRIPE2_0314_1600x1600.jpg

foley_1600x1600.jpg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I've had Tyrolean socks before. Itchy. Shooting socks are more or less like kilt hose -- viable though not ideal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads