• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sportcoat Help

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about purchasing a sportcoat which will be my very first one. I like this but it is way out of my price range:

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/jackets/products/plaid-jacket-brown-beige-and-purple

What sort of price range should I be looking at which will be of quality yet not break the bank? Will mostly be wearing with jeans but perhaps trousers too down the road. Can I find decent stuff for around $200. Also what sort of things should I be looking at when making my first sportcoat purchase? Any tips will be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:

tonylamer

Reaction score
If $200's your ceiling, you aren't going to be able to find anything in Toronto. Your best option would be Tom's Place--in Kensington Market--but, even at Tom's, a similar sportcoat is going to cost you $300. I bought something similar there this summer, but it was Tom's house brand, it wasn't canvassed, and it was still $300+.

Scour ebay 'til you find a pre-owned Pal Zileri sportcoat in a similar pattern, then take it to a great tailor. For $200, you'll have an $800 sportcoat, and no one will ever know that you didn't pay retail for it. Harry Rosen stuff is almost free on ebay. I have newer Harry Rosen Samuelsohn and Tilford sportcoats that were around $100 after ebay and alterations.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im thinking about purchasing a sportcoat which will be my very first one. I like this but it is way out of my price range:
http://www.howardyount.com/collections/jackets/products/plaid-jacket-brown-beige-and-purple
What sort of price range should I be looking at which will be of quality yet not break the bank? Will mostly be wearing with jeans but perhaps trousers too down the road. Can I find decent stuff for around $200. Also what sort of things should I be looking at when making my first sportcoat purchase? Any tips will be helpful.
Thanks

For $200, you can find nice stuff, new with tags, you just have to know what you're doing and know your size/measurements well. You'll also have to buy online. It will take time to learn though.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say check out Club Monaco here locally for half decent design, construction, etc. Only buy on sale and take your student card for 20% off.

otherwise I'd recommend going down to NYC to visit Uniqlo sometime, it's worth it. Book with greyhound more than 2 weeks in advance and it's like $80 round trip.

Are you set on that coloring and patttern? for your first SC I would prefer either basic navy, black, or grey. Even beige for summer.
I just don't know what you'll find locally for that price point to be honest, and it's not your price point's fault, it's the supply side. Maybe take a stroll down Queen West?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I went to this local fine men's clothing store here called Ladner's Clothiers. They have this BOSS Orange sportcoat on clearance for $200. Now I know the hate for BOSS but considering this being my first sportcoat and $200 being my price range I think it's pretty good. Nice pattern and it fits pretty well off the rack. It's a 50 in Europe size (6'0, 160 lbs). Would that be around my size? It's a brown color with plaid design. Think I'll go pick it up in the next day or two.

I also like one of the sportcoats posted above:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/suiting/PRDOVR~14990/14990.jsp

In Navy...it is $194 shipped to me. Perhaps get both? Continued help please...:satisfied:.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Go with the Navy one. Navy is a lot easier to worth with, it's more classic, and you will have it much longer then you'd have the BOSS one.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this helps, I am 6' and 170 lbs and wear a 38. I don't know if I would order something without going to the store and trying it on first, or something comparable.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score

What size would I be? I'm 6'0 and 160 lbs. Should I order the 40R?

based on your earlier post, it sounds as though you had tried the 40r on, and it fit well. if you think it fits well, take a shot. if you're still concerned, try it on again, and take pics and post here, so the experts (read: not me, still just a confused newb) can offer some constructive criticism

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What size would I be? I'm 6'0 and 160 lbs. Should I order the 40R?

There's no way of telling what size your chest is from just your height and weight, for all we know you could be 110lb lean body mass with a 50lb gut. Buy a tape-measure and actually measure round your chest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads