• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sperry vs Quoddy

navysuede

Reaction score
Quoddy has better leather and you know its made in the States..Sperry has there stuff made
in Mex,Brazil and China.You don't know who or what your getting.
boxing[1].gif

gsjr

Reaction score
I took the advice of the thread and bought the Quoddy's using O'Connells "50yr" code. The shoes arrived within a week and I couldn't be more pleased.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Quoddy canoe mocs from O'Connells, myself. Now I know what all the hype is about. the leather is miles better than Sperry or LL Bean or anywhere else. The price is higher, but very much worth it. These shoes will be a summer staple for me for, I suspect, several years.

Mr T

Reaction score
If another data point is needed I also have the Quoddy mocs and think they are great shoes. The leather softened after just a few hours of wear. Now, after a few weeks, they are as comfortable as slippers (slippers with good arch support that is). I predict many years of use and appreciate that they are still made in the USA. I look forward to trying their other models.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't own any Quoddy shoes but I'm tempted to get a pair given all the praises I've read about them. I may try a pair of high top boat shoes for fall.

Bislane

Reaction score
Thought I'd post this here rather than start a new thread, any replies would be appreciated.

For my graduation from high school in a couple weeks I've started to get a nicer outfit together consisting of (so far) a slim, 2" silk knit tie, a very slim white button up shirt similar to a BoO in terms of fit, and a pair of slim, solid, grey/charcoal pants. My question is this: is it ok to wear some dark boat shoes like a pair of sperries or quoddies? The occasion would only be for the senior dinner/dance thing and hanging out with family after - there's no dress code or anything like that for the ceremony itself.

TLDR: Is wearing a nice, dark pair of boat shoes with casual, yet nicer attire a fashion faux pas?

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bislane
Thought I'd post this here rather than start a new thread, any replies would be appreciated.

For my graduation from high school in a couple weeks I've started to get a nicer outfit together consisting of (so far) a slim, 2" silk knit tie, a very slim white button up shirt similar to a BoO in terms of fit, and a pair of slim, solid, grey/charcoal pants. My question is this: is it ok to wear some dark boat shoes like a pair of sperries or quoddies? The occasion would only be for the senior dinner/dance thing and hanging out with family after - there's no dress code or anything like that for the ceremony itself.

TLDR: Is wearing a nice, dark pair of boat shoes with casual, yet nicer attire a fashion faux pas?

I think a pair of loafers would be more appropriate than boat shoes.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree - or lace ups. You are graduating.

jojo1

Reaction score
Live in DC. Is there anyplace that sells Quoddy shoes in the area where one could try them on? If not, do they run true to size? I've found Alden Cape Cods, for instance, run a little small and I've had to order them a 1/2 size up (i.e., I'm normally an 11, but wear the Cape Cods in an 11.5)

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jojo1
Live in DC. Is there anyplace that sells Quoddy shoes in the area where one could try them on? If not, do they run true to size? I've found Alden Cape Cods, for instance, run a little small and I've had to order them a 1/2 size up (i.e., I'm normally an 11, but wear the Cape Cods in an 11.5)

no.

the reason o'connel had them for so cheap is because they probably had old stock. with the recent surge in popularity, quoddy has to hire on more workers and jumped up the price of their shoes.

next season boat shoes will be ~$210.

they were extremely underpriced last year at $120ish.

jojo1

Reaction score
Any advice on sizing? Do they run snug or roomy or true to size? Should one buy them (particularly the unlined) on the snug side, as they will likely stretch?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jojo1
Any advice on sizing? Do they run snug or roomy or true to size? Should one buy them (particularly the unlined) on the snug side, as they will likely stretch?
I'm interested in sizing, too. I don't know of a place locally to try them on.

Tardek

Reaction score
I know that so many folks have a love affair with sperry, but they are so old man.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On sizing, the mocs seem to run true to size. I am a 10 E and they fit just like other similar shoes (LL Bean for example).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads