• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectators when and where

khaki sack

Reaction score
I really like those.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by orlagu
Is it appropriate to wear a pair like these to a daytime summer wedding party, with brown/olive herringbone linen jacket, white poplin dress shirt and light PoW trousers?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlagu
Is it appropriate to wear a pair like these to a daytime summer wedding party, with brown/olive herringbone linen jacket, white poplin dress shirt and light PoW trousers?
(The groom is a close friend of mine, the bride is American, so, no traditional wedding costumes applied.)

These are dark enough to be worn at night. I would think that tan/white would work better for the event you describe.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I think the beach is also fine for spectators.

The suggestion that spectators should be worn as erstatz evening dress makes this reader ill - jazz club or not.

At the beach is a little hard to imagine, unless youre at a resort and in a Wodehouse, Highsmith or Christie novel.

Did Trimmer mean black tie, or did he mean with a jacket and tie, in the evening at a Jazz club?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I think the beach is also fine for spectators.

The suggestion that spectators should be worn as erstatz evening dress makes this reader ill - jazz club or not.

Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
At the beach is a little hard to imagine, unless youre at a resort and in a Wodehouse, Highsmith or Christie novel.

Did Trimmer mean black tie, or did he mean with a jacket and tie, in the evening at a Jazz club?

I wore mine a lot at a beach resort in Mexico last year.
smile.gif
Not actually ON the beach, generally, but in the restaurant or bar areas with linen trousers and shirt. I suspect it would have made Sator ill, however, since this was mostly at night. I wore them this last weekend with brown linen trousers and a linen jacket, again in the evening...sorry.

I have never worn mine with a suit, per se, but rather with linen trousers and, perhaps, a sportcoat. It's a good casual look and should be worn that way, IMO. Not saying that it can't work with certain suits, but I've seen it work poorly more often than well when worn that way.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rand
I find spectators to be one of my favroiate looks. I am very comfortable wearing them to the Kentucky Derby or opening day at keenland, however other that that I get Cold feet
smile.gif

when and with what would you find spectators appropriate Are there any "rules" that might apply

thanks

Being from Indianapolis, the weather is best between Derby Day and Labor Day. Although I did wear a pair last week in South Beach (cocktails on Ocean Dr) and again in Atlanta. I usually wear them with linen trousers, linen suits, or linen trousers and seersucker sportcoats.
I never wear specs to business related events.

Mr T

Reaction score
I wear them without regard to the standard rules. It is summertime after all, and the living is easy.

This week I added AE's Ramsey to the collection (2nd photo). This linen blucher model is not a typical spectator and I look forward to seeing the reaction this weekend watching the quarter horses.

At the risk of being that guy with too many spectators I am also very tempted by this model from Gravati:

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Gravati's are incredible.

I am also hesitant, thought tempted to buy a second pair. I have this pair from BB Peal & Co.:
212H_th.jpg

But am tempted by these C&J handgrades from Ben Silver:
9792_R.jpg

At this point though I think I'll save the money toward getting a Chris Despos suit.
smile.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
I wear them without regard to the standard rules. It is summertime after all, and the living is easy.

This week I added AE's Ramsey to the collection (2nd photo). This linen blucher model is not a typical spectator and I look forward to seeing the reaction this weekend watching the quarter horses.

At the risk of being that guy with too many spectators I am also very tempted by this model from Gravati:

Personally, I think the Gravati model would be a bad idea.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Gravati model would be a bad idea.
+1, spectators cannot border on cheap looking. I wore mine last Friday night in the desert. Blue and cream linen glenplaid sportcoat Blue cotton-linen shirt Tan linen trousers Cream tie with blue and red paisleys Brown leather and white buck spectators I think it looked great

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ah, but Sator is in a Wodehouse, Highsmith or Christie novel. That's where he lives. Have you not already discerned this?

devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads