• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Appreciation

jappa

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I just had to register to share my latest acquisition with you - after all, this very thread did wake my curiosity towards spectator shoes. Also I haven't seen live pictures of these in this forum and manufacturers pictures do not compliment these shoes enough IMO. These are of course Herring Henley's from Herring Shoes. Made by Cheaney and quality seems to be very good as I expected. Leather is Chestnut Calf (full grain as far as I can tell) and fabric is some kind of canvas. Grabbed these as slightly seconds and paid 95 GBP - you can see fault in first picture, small scratch in fabric of the left shoe. Not penetratred through, and looks like it will not tear more in use - I am very happy for these
inlove.gif

jappa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Those are quite nice and at a great price. If those were online I'm going to have to ask you for a link...
smile.gif

You can bought them from Herring Shoes if that was what you meant. Retail price is GBP 195 though. I waited whole summer for seconds/subs and finally had luck. 50% discount because of small scratch is more than reasonable.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jappa
Hello gentlemen,

I just had to register to share my latest acquisition with you - after all, this very thread did wake my curiosity towards spectator shoes. Also I haven't seen live pictures of these in this forum and manufacturers pictures do not compliment these shoes enough IMO.

These are of course Herring Henley's from Herring Shoes. Made by Cheaney and quality seems to be very good as I expected. Leather is Chestnut Calf (full grain as far as I can tell) and fabric is some kind of canvas. Grabbed these as slightly seconds and paid 95 GBP - you can see fault in first picture, small scratch in fabric of the left shoe. Not penetratred through, and looks like it will not tear more in use - I am very happy for these
inlove.gif

They look very nice indeed - thank you very much for posting them.

I had thought of getting a pair of those in the past but the stock photo on the website doesn't look great - the proportion of the toe of the shoe looks a bit odd in the photo on the Herring website.

Your shoes look very nice, though, so I may have to think about getting a pair again...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
I know AE doesn't get a whole lot of love here, but I managed to score these for $100 at the most recent sale. They're probably one of the few remaining pairs they have in stock. I like 'em:

broadstreet1.jpg

broadstreet2.jpg

Funnily enough they are selling some on yoox at the moment in like one size.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont mean to be a shoe prude, but isnt there a difference between a "spectator" or "correspondent" shoe and a plain old two-tone shoe? Many posts here show some lovely shoes, but dont you need some white in there to be a spectator? Perhaps we need a separate "Two-tone Shoe Thread"?
laugh.gif

From no less an authority than Wikipedia:

Spectator shoes are a men's and women's shoe. They are notable for their two-tone color, similar to saddle shoes. However, where saddle shoes have a strip of color across the instep (and often another at the heel), spectator shoes have white as an accent color in various parts of the upper. While spectators are typically wingtips, some are cap toe shoes, and yet others are loafers. In the modern day they are predominantly seen in black and white, but other colors, particularly brown and white, are not unheard of. John Lobb, the famous English boot maker, claims to have designed the first spectator as a cricket shoe in 1868.

Prior to this generation, brown and white and black and white spectators were equally popular as a casual summer shoe. The spectator was originally constructed of willow calf leather and white buck or reverse calf suede. The white portion was sometimes made from a mesh material, for better ventilation in hot weather. They became popular as dressy sports (i.e., casual) shoes after the Duke of Windsor adopted them.

Just keepin' it real
devil.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes.

Originally Posted by PhiloVance
EG for RLPL - Whitaker US 10D on the 89 last in Acorn & Ivory (basically looks like the EG Cardiff as spectator in edwardian antique and white suede):

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Coolshoes and Kai - I have a pair of old black and white J&M specs in calf leather, but the suede on the EG captoe and wingtip specs is really on another level.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X-posted from Shoe Appreciation to revive an old (and one of my favorites) thread:

It all starts with a trip to Paris...

P1000232.jpg

P1000282.jpg

P1000328.jpg

Sure, the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Notre Dame are must see attractions. However, no trip to Paris is complete (as far as SFers are concerned) without a visit to Carmina.

The 'soldes' were on, but alas, the following pair was not on that list. C'est triste.

P1000329.jpg

P1000330.jpg

P1000331.jpg

P1000332.jpg

P1000333.jpg

P1000335.jpg

P1000336.jpg

More pictures, including lickable soles, are included in the spoiler.

P1000337-1.jpg

P1000338.jpg

P1000340.jpg

P1000341.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads