• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Songs where the cover is better than the original

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Reminds me ...

Coal Chamber and Ozzie's cover of Peter Gabriel's Shock the Monkey

You CANNOT cover "Shock the Monkey". Gabriel does it like no one else.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm almost glad the Primals/Roky thing is semi-controversial, b/c I've been playing it sort of safe; I'll stand by that one...

Also, speaking of Bobby Gillespie, the JAMC cover of "Surfin' USA" is a hell of a good time (though recorded post-Bobby, I think).

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Okay, I've done enough of these mealy-mouthed "not better, just..." posts, so here's an unequivocal: Primal Scream's "Slip Inside This House" kills the Elevators' original.

What album is it on?

b

Tyto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
that song was originally Josie Cotton...didn't know the GoGos did it too???
Yup: recorded it live, back when they were still a small-time LA punk band. It's on Return to the Valley of the Go-Go's. Nice and raw.

Regarding Knock on Wood: I'll agree that Green's stuff usually sounds better when Green sings it, but I'm sticking by Clapton's version of that one song as the better of the two.

unbridled_id

Reaction score
I would have to say that the derek and the dominos cover of the Hendrix tune little wing is far superior. No doubt because both Clapton and Allman were better guitarists, and the dominos were a better band.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unbridled_id
I would have to say that the derek and the dominos cover of the Hendrix tune little wing is far superior. No doubt because both Clapton and Allman were better guitarists, and the dominos were a better band.

Hey, I think you forgot to add one of these:
sarcasm.gif

unbridled_id

Reaction score
No, I was not being sarcastic. I have not bought into the Hendrix is the best guitarist in this universe or any other nonsense.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow... now thats a controversial statement.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unbridle_id wrote: No, I was not being sarcastic. I have not bought into the Hendrix is the best guitarist in this universe or any other nonsense.

I wouldn't say Jimi was the best guitarist ever. The best in Rock, yes. Better than Joe Pass? Wes Montgomery? Christopher Parkening? Let's just say all these greats were/are geniuses. Jimi is certainly in that group.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Buddy Guy/Anthony Hamilton cover of Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay" is pretty good.

Heard it just the other morning - I don't know about better, but it's certainly an interesting take.

Goblin

Reaction score
A new user making a brash statement that almost seems designed to generate argument? That's certainly unusual.

hurr.gif

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I was not being sarcastic. I have not bought into the Hendrix is the best guitarist in this universe or any other nonsense.

Eric Clapton was and is a better technician, has a wonderful feel and incredible restraint -- not a term you'd associate with Hendrix. Jeff Beck has all of Hendrix's fire with better chops. But as a performing guitarist, Hendrix was a revelation, and the better blues guitarist, which is what they were all aping -- bluesmen.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I obviously disagree, I was just being a schmuck - as Jimi himself once said, after being questioned on this very debate for the umpteenth time: "There is no best guitarist. There are so many styles in music. It's a matter of taste." His legacy is secure, and people are certainly free to disagree. I wrote a really long, boring post about Hendrix v. Clapton v. Duane, but I'll just leave it at that. Although I'm not sure what l_i meant by Beck having "better chops"... Also, just to muddy the issue (no pun intended), I'll throw Peter Green (who replace Clapton in the Bluesbreakers) into the discussion. Before Fleetwood Mac were an awful post-hippie AOR band, they were arguably the best white blues band around. Green too often overlooked in the pantheon, but if you like Layla-type stuff, look up the first three (or is it four?) Mac albums. I realize this may sound funny given the nom de guerre I use around here, but I'm a lapsed guitar geek at heart - I just happen to be on a bit of a hiatus recently. Also, back to OT - Duane played on Aretha's cover of "The Weight" (and your jokes about her weight are probably best kept to yourself); now, improving on that original would be impossible, but damned if those two didn't come remarkably close...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads