• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some thoughts on the GQ Style Manual

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's not wise to talk to noobs like it makes any sense to buy just one pair. Better to talk about the first two pairs, and to say something like they should be dark brown and black. Dark brown to wear most often and look good and black to wear less often and at formal events.

The forum is plagued with nervous questions posed by people making "either/or" decisions where the answer is "both." One example was sweaters, should I get v-necks or crewnecks. As if it would make sense to have only one kind of sweater.

So the whole debate about what is a better "first shoe" is misleading. Better to talk about the first two pairs and then maybe the second two pairs.

rlee

Reaction score
i browsed though this mag also. i was wondering, does anyone know where i can pick up those calvin klein shoes from page 119, i think it's 119 at least. it's on the bottom right hand corner. according to the back index, they are calvin klein, but when i went to their website, i don't see any shoes that look like that

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlee
i browsed though this mag also. i was wondering, does anyone know where i can pick up those calvin klein shoes from page 119, i think it's 119 at least. it's on the bottom right hand corner. according to the back index, they are calvin klein, but when i went to their website, i don't see any shoes that look like that

Try Walmart!

odiv

Reaction score
Picked this up for a flight and it kind of lit a fire in me. It's the reason I've joined this forum and am paying more attention to my clothing. I've been wearing jeans + dress shirt at work forever. Thinking about writing a blog about getting into all of this at 30, which seems a little late, including what I'm wearing on a given day, thrift and men's store purchases, etc.

On the flight back I thought I'd pick up another guide to see if I could get even more insights and inspiration. I picked up Sharp's "The Book For Men" Fall/Winter 2010 and it was very disappointing. More ads, nude women in suit jackets, $20k watches. What am I supposed to do with this?

Anyway, GQ's 2010 Style Guide is great and I'd recommend it as a beginner book for anyone who's interested in learning more about fashion.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
In my work environment black dress shoes are essential however I feel burgundy is a great alternative. At this moment I'm in an important meeting and can see that every male is in black shoes, except me. I'm wearing #8 shell.

Originally Posted by blackbowtie
The meeting can't be that important if you have time to respond to postings on the StyleForum
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by citizenshame
LOL, was thinking the same thing. Maybe everyone else at the meeting is thinking, "there's that guy with the brown shoes, on his phone again...."

laugh.gif
Oh, it may be the most important meeting of his career. But remember, gentlemen - nothing is more important than Styleforvm.

EZ

wfwalsh

Reaction score
The thing I thought was most at odds with what I've read here was the enthusiastic endorsement of orphaned suit jackets.

LostinPhilly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wfwalsh
The thing I thought was most at odds with what I've read here was the enthusiastic endorsement of orphaned suit jackets.

I also winced at that; but, overall was really impressed with the guide...particularly that it didn't try to copy Esquire. It was laid out well and had great foundational information. I also appreciate the effort to include clothes priced less than $2,500 (unlike Esquire)....

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I looked through it at B&N when it came out. If you have a GQ sub, no reason to buy it as it is just articles from the year all compressed into 1 book/mag.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I get that but still am of the opinion some classy brown shoes would be a better "single pair" investment.

I just realized that many here, including myself, may have trouble understanding the "single pair" concept.
laugh.gif

You need those black shoes for funerals and interviews. That may be as far as you go with suits and leather shoes. Of course, after that the next 20 pair you buy can be anything but black.

They say 'get black shoes first' not 'black shoes are better than brown'. There are times when black shoes are required formal attire; brown shoes can always be replaced with black shoes without offending the social requirements (even if the brown shoes look so much better.)

Originally Posted by odiv
nude women in suit jackets ... What am I supposed to do with this?

eh.gif

Reaction score
One other bit of advice... if you are having problems narrowing it down between a few pairs, let a woman pick them out. Women generally have a better eye for men's shoes than we do. That is, until you become a seasoned veteran at it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MysticalParrot
One other bit of advice... if you are having problems narrowing it down between a few pairs, let a woman pick them out. Women generally have a better eye for men's shoes than we do. That is, until you become a seasoned veteran at it.

WRONG!!

Bertram

Reaction score

I'd recommend a stiff brandy and a lie down. Soon be right as rain old bean.

I'm not sure that if it's a UK thing, but I find the US and European tendency to embrace the brown shoe with suits a bit worrying.

Brown shoes just aren't formal, are they? It wouldn't occur to me to wear them to the office.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other bit of advice... if you are having problems narrowing it down between a few pairs, don't let a woman pick them out. Women generally choose a square toed/pointy toed monstrosity depending on what they saw in a magazine

FTFY

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bertram
I'd recommend a stiff brandy and a lie down. Soon be right as rain old bean.

I'm not sure that if it's a UK thing, but I find the US and European tendency to embrace the brown shoe with suits a bit worrying.

Brown shoes just aren't formal, are they? It wouldn't occur to me to wear them to the office.

Yes, it does tend to be "a UK thing".

Not that every Englishman is allergic to brown leather, but traditionally brown shoes were not to be worn in the town, only in the country.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
_scottyo