• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some advice, please, on the next shoe purchase

Ptanis

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. My name is Nate.
Looking for some advice on the next pair of dress shoes. I wear mainly darker suits- navy, grey, brown- and I currently have the following:

Black PA
Brown FA
Oxblood McAlister
Chili MacNeil

I'm considering MacNeil in black, or Strand in black or walnut. I know quite a few reserve black for a black suit, but I like it with darker navy or charcoal. Any thoughts would be welcome. Both the 5 and 7 lasts are a good fit.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are looking at more shoes to be able to wear with suits?

I don't think a black MacNeil would really work. When it comes to black shoes, I prefer to look at those with minimal ornamentation. Having said that, I have the Strand in brown Shell Cordovan and I'm not sure it would look that good in black. The Strand in walnut might be a better choice.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm convinced that no one wears that walnut color well. Tan shoes are already difficult enough to wear. They go best with lighter colored suits and sport coats, which most men don't own or have the occasions to wear. But Allen Edmonds' shade of tan is particularly harsh. It's very orange.

Black shoes are fine with dark suits, such as navy and gray. The difference between MacNeil and Strand will be mostly in the formality. Open lacing will look slightly more casual than closed lacing. A suit would support either; it just depends on the kind of look you want to create.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm convinced that no one wears that walnut color well. Tan shoes are already difficult enough to wear. They go best with lighter colored suits and sport coats, which most men don't own or have the occasions to wear. But Allen Edmonds' shade of tan is particularly harsh. It's very orange.

Black shoes are fine with dark suits, such as navy and gray. The difference between MacNeil and Strand will be mostly in the formality. Open lacing will look slightly more casual than closed lacing. A suit would support either; it just depends on the kind of look you want to create.
Walnut colour looks best on a more casual shoe like the Macneil or Leeds

1Ip66CzyRumC.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Walnut colour looks best on a more casual shoe like the Macneil or Leeds

1Ip66CzyRumC.jpg

Still not convinced anyone wears that color well. It's just so orange.

Tan shoes are hard to wear in successful outfits. Warm shoes also take a bit more coordination. Orange shoes are the worst of both worlds -- bright, loud, light-colored, and warm.

Guys who wear AE walnut shoes often wear them with dark suits. But the bright color just drags the eye downward.

tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co1_500.jpg

tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co6_r1_1280.jpg

If you wear light-colored, tan shoes, especially in a warm tone, then you need to pay attention to the rest of your outfit. You can't just throw them into a dark ensemble. Here's Mark in a light-colored sport coat that also has a yellow undertone. This works great, IMO

tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co2_r1_1280-813x1024.png

A bit easier is a tan color with a colder, earthier hue. Edward Green has a few shades like this

tumblr_ns8txlazcQ1qa2j8co4_1280.jpg

Or you can avoid these issues entirely by only wearing shoes in dark brown, mid-brown, and black.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still not convinced anyone wears that color well. It's just so orange.

Tan shoes are hard to wear in successful outfits. Warm shoes also take a bit more coordination. Orange shoes are the worst of both worlds -- bright, loud, light-colored, and warm.

Guys who wear AE walnut shoes often wear them with dark suits. But the bright color just drags the eye downward.

View attachment 1413235
View attachment 1413236

If you wear light-colored, tan shoes, especially in a warm tone, then you need to pay attention to the rest of your outfit. You can't just throw them into a dark ensemble. Here's Mark in a light-colored sport coat that also has a yellow undertone. This works great, IMO

View attachment 1413237

A bit easier is a tan color with a colder, earthier hue. Edward Green has a few shades like this

View attachment 1413238

Or you can avoid these issues entirely by only wearing shoes in dark brown, mid-brown, and black.
I'd only use it for strictly very casual use for the reasons you mentioned. It just doesn't work in most suits.

Most men go "Dark-light-dark" from top-down and don't have the wardrobe to support brighter shoes.

Agreed on both those pictures being good examples.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads