• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some advice needed: (business) casual wear that still looks good

Dennis88

Reaction score
Ok, just got here and need some advice. I'm 22 but, as a friend tells me, look like I could go to a high school, look for kids selling drugs, and go unnoticed. Serous, I look like 16 or 17.

I have been trying to improve things over the last year by paying attention to what I wear. Not to impress people, but to feel a bit more confident. So this is what I usually wear:

-Grey or dark blue jeans. I prefer Levi 514's as I just like them
-button down shirt in a neutral color (white, black, light yellow etc)
-brown or black dress shoes that still look somewhat casual
-usually a sport coat when I go out, black or beige depending on the color of the shoes

I was wondering if you guys have any other suggestions. I don't want to look formal, as it is not suitable in day to day situations. But other than that, I'm open for suggestions.

Oh, and usually in the weekends I tend to wear a black or brown fedora hat, if I'm up for that.

Thanks,

Dennis

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you in school or the working world.

The main thing I'd recommend is focusing on fit. I'm assuming you're a slender guy since you're mistaken for 16 y/o, so make sure you buy extra slim cut shirts. Since you're not wearing suits, I'd mix up your shirt colors. Single colors can look boring and frankly "poor." Kids wear them. Get some nice thin stripes on them. Go with different patterns. Check out thomaspink.com for inspiration.

Never wear an all-black dress shirt, unless you're "clubbin'."

You might want to step up that denim. Levis are very common. I don't care if they're comfortable, you're out to look good not slink around town in a robe and slippers.

Where do you get your shoes? Make sure your belt matches your shoes. Women like shoes, as you no doubt know, so don't skimp on this item. Avoid places like Aldo.

Sport coats can be cool. I'm a little skeptical of 22 year olds with sports coats, but hey, maybe you're an Exeter type.

You're joking about the fedora, I hope.

Dennis88

Reaction score
I'm 5'3". I have been buying slim shirts and try to stick with them.

As for the shirts, thanks for the advice. I have been trying to stay with lain shirts but they do look somewhat boring. Oops! As for the Denim, maybe it us time t look into that.

Maybe sports coat wasn't the correct term. I have a couple if coats but I have a hard time figuring out what they are. I call it a sports coat but now that I think about it I guess blazer might be closer to the truth. Anyway, I like it more than a simple jacket.

I'm in school (again) so that plays part if it as well. As for the shoes, my feet are extremely small, and the only place I have been buying shoes I like lately is Stravers in Amsterdam. I need to do some further research into that as well.

And no, I wasn't joking about the hat. I personally am a big fan of hats, even though I'm not 50 yet;-)

Thanks again,

Dennis

Reaction score
I'm a small guy as well (not 5' 3" though) for any dress shirt I have to take them to a tailor no matter what. Slim fit stuff isn't slim enough. Have the sleeves narrowed and shortened and take some width out of the body. Makes a world of difference.

Shirts, have some fun with the colors, why stick with neutrals? Purple, pink, green for example.

Pants if you want to change it up from jeans you could get some cords and chinos.

For the shoes I'm not sure what you're wearing but I'd get some bucks. Since you want to be casual you can have more colors as well, wearing brown and black all the time is boring.

Fedora? Get rid of that and wait another 30 years to bring that back out.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Are you in school or the working world.

The main thing I'd recommend is focusing on fit. I'm assuming you're a slender guy since you're mistaken for 16 y/o, so make sure you buy extra slim cut shirts. Since you're not wearing suits, I'd mix up your shirt colors. Single colors can look boring and frankly "poor." Kids wear them. Get some nice thin stripes on them. Go with different patterns. Check out thomaspink.com for inspiration.

Never wear an all-black dress shirt, unless you're "clubbin'."

You might want to step up that denim. Levis are very common. I don't care if they're comfortable, you're out to look good not slink around town in a robe and slippers.

Where do you get your shoes? Make sure your belt matches your shoes. Women like shoes, as you no doubt know, so don't skimp on this item. Avoid places like Aldo.

Sport coats can be cool. I'm a little skeptical of 22 year olds with sports coats, but hey, maybe you're an Exeter type.

You're joking about the fedora, I hope.

This is terrible advice.

For shirts, especially to be worn with sportcoats (which are acceptable at any age), they should be light colors to provide a good contrast to darker jackets. What you don't want to do is end up with a light sport coat and a dark shirt, a dark sportcoat with a dark shirt, or even worse a dark sportcoat shirt and tie. If you're not comfortable in your shirts, go to an alterationist or a tailor and have them taken in. The difference is night and day.

Levi's are OK too. Get a slim fit that compliments your shilouette.

A pair of dark brown longwings sounds like what would be best for you.

Wear your hat, as long as it isn't a cheap stingy brim fedora. Follow the rules though. Don't eat with it on, take it off in private places, etc. Be a gentleman about it. Dark jackets = dark fedora. Straw fedoras are good for the summer too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads