• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solo traveling, anyone here ever done it?

dapperdude

Reaction score

Where did you go in Mexico?

Cancun, then Tulum and Playa del Carmen and small fishing village called Punta Allen, a 2 hour drive through unpaved jungle roads. I recommend the latter destinations, especially Tulum, for the more adventurous traveler.

The typical Cancun resort feels like Disneyland.

In Tulum it's possible to rough it in campgrounds on the beach, or spend the night in luxury beach cabanas. It's also popular with backpackers.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How did you get there? Those are middle-aged folk vacation spots for families and the like

dapperdude

Reaction score
I flew to Cancun, then rented a Jeep at the resort and drove to the other towns.

dapperdude

Reaction score

How did you get there? Those are middle-aged folk vacation spots for families and the like

I would say that about Cancun. I thought it would be nice to get away and relax but I hated it. Imagine buffets full of fat tourists stuffing themselves with mediocre food.

I almost forgot, I took an excursion to Cozumel by ferry. I stayed at a condo away from the city center. Also relaxing and some beautiful snorkeling, but boring.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tulum is gorgeous, but full of crunchy hippies who annoyed me.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got back to NY from Thailand this morning! Great traveling solo! Even with the adventure that I had getting back home due to weather(HK), delays, luggage problems, etc.....I would not trade this time in my life for anything!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Tulum and Playa are EASILY accessible by ADO bus from Cancun.

www.ado.mx

Tulum is gorgeous, but full of crunchy hippies who annoyed me.

sadly true. still a nice spot for a beach/ruin excursion though.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sadly true. still a nice spot for a beach/ruin excursion though.

Oh yeah, I'd go back... But I'd probably try to stay somewhere that was expensive enough to keep the hippies out.

Aneil4lom

Reaction score
Due to the time I'm getting vacation, I'll most likely have to travel alone. My initial choices were between Miami, Caracas, Chicago and New York.

I settled with New York since it seems like the easiest city to walk out of all of the above. I'm looking to stay in a hostel (Ideally in NoHo) and I'll see how it goes from there.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Due to the time I'm getting vacation, I'll most likely have to travel alone. My initial choices were between Miami, Caracas, Chicago and New York. 

I settled with New York since it seems like the easiest city to walk out of all of the above. I'm looking to stay in a hostel (Ideally in NoHo) and I'll see how it goes from there.

you absolutely do not want to stay in Miami by yourself unless your sole plan is to go to the beach every day. then staying on SOBE isn't that bad.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good choice. And nYc can be done on a budget if necessary. Make sure you check out the following before your trip for things to do:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ thanks for posting that link. Pretty useful for many other cities across the globe.

Ter, did you get a chance to eat any sticky rice and curry in a clear bag? I still fantasize over the Thai open markets

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ thanks for posting that link. Pretty useful for many other cities across the globe.

Ter, did you get a chance to eat any sticky rice and curry in a clear bag? I still fantasize over the Thai open markets

I did it all! Ate street food most days-snakehead fish at a street stall-restaurant/morning glory with most every meal/deep fried fish/chicken/etc. Drank cheap Thai whiskey and local brews. Weather was great...no rain....95+ every day. I had an adventure getting home(arrived yesterday at appr 7:30am.....but would not trade that trip for anything. I look fwd to going back in a year or 2!

Traveling is the best IMO. I always try to take at least 1 or 2 really good trips a year. "Get busy liven..or get busy dying!"

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ lol, this guy. I'm headed to Europe next week but you're making me second guess my decisions already

Just landed in Vegas for the weekend. About I also have some cheap, yet overpriced whiskey unless I can get to the Walgreens

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads