1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Solo traveling, anyone here ever done it?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by noel_esq., Mar 4, 2013.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

you absolutely do not want to stay in Miami by yourself unless your sole plan is to go to the beach every day. then staying on SOBE isn't that bad.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Good choice. And nYc can be done on a budget if necessary. Make sure you check out the following before your trip for things to do:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ thanks for posting that link. Pretty useful for many other cities across the globe.

Ter, did you get a chance to eat any sticky rice and curry in a clear bag? I still fantasize over the Thai open markets

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I did it all! Ate street food most days-snakehead fish at a street stall-restaurant/morning glory with most every meal/deep fried fish/chicken/etc. Drank cheap Thai whiskey and local brews. Weather was great...no rain....95+ every day. I had an adventure getting home(arrived yesterday at appr 7:30am.....but would not trade that trip for anything. I look fwd to going back in a year or 2!

Traveling is the best IMO. I always try to take at least 1 or 2 really good trips a year. "Get busy liven..or get busy dying!"

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ lol, this guy. I'm headed to Europe next week but you're making me second guess my decisions already

Just landed in Vegas for the weekend. About I also have some cheap, yet overpriced whiskey unless I can get to the Walgreens

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

You know where you wanna go!!
    You ever been to Thailand during Songkran?

7. afrosoul

afrosoul New Member

I always prefer to travel solo especially to new places, google is your friend in such instances as you can visit all kinds of unusual places and do unusual things without anyone trying to stop you coz they are tired or scared

8. CodyNC

CodyNC Well-Known Member

I've traveled to England, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore by myself. My first trip was England solo which wasn't bad since English was no problem. SE Asia was interesting on the fly but I had no one to bother me which made it an experience I will never forget. I loved every minute of it and stayed in places most wouldn't enjoy. I also met amazing people along the way and had no one to look out for or make sure the other person is having a good time. I'm more adventurous than most so I sometimes feel held back bc I know who I'm traveling with isn't as open to new things.

1 person likes this.
  9. Decriain

Decriain New Member

Going solo can be great - and sometimes lonely too. It's best to include things that incerase the chances of meeting people, as that is what it is all about really.

I recommend...

Stay in hostels.
    Hostels are no longer "youth hostels". Anyone can stay. In Europe especially they are open to all. But best to stay in non-official hostels, i.e. independent hostels. They are still excellent but dont have crazy rules about what time u need to get up etc.

Bring your smartphone.
    There are an increasing number of sites that cater for solo travellers. TravBuddy and Wandermates.com are two I have used (this is me on Wandermates http://www.wandermates.com/profileview.php?profileuserid=9 :) No site is perfect but by spreading yoruself around u can increase the chances of meeting someone.

Go on group activities.
    Go on a 2 or 3 day trip to do scuba, climbing, cycling etc. THat way to get to meet likeminded people and have fun. I have done it a lot and it s s agreat way tp break the ice and meet a few buddies. Plus, it is short enough that u are not bpgged dow. Alternatively book a longer session with someone like Exodus.co.uk or Explore. I have done trps with them in Turkey and MOrocco and they were both turely excellent!

10. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Agreed. If you find yourself in a lonely rut during solo travel, the key is to keep moving... go to the next city, site, distraction etc. While it may seem a daunting prospect going to a different continent alone, I might note that while I have regretted stressful trips I've taken with flings and girlfriends, I've never once looked back at a solo trip and thought "that was a lonely, unfulfilling journey" or whatever.

While most of us would probably like to think we always have awesome friends or chicks on reserve to go traveling with us, the fact remains that is often not the case; but the urge to explore and discover is still there. One of the whole points of SF in my opinion is to be comfortable in your own skin- to express and create one's aesthetic ideal for use during daily life. Simply wandering through an old European city on a warm night in your favorite linen sport coat is really quite fulfilling. And I think you'll find a lot more opens up for you doing that, than rushing around in shorts with your girlfriend and rick steves clutched to your sides.

1 person likes this.
  11. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

i won a free trip to tokyo by myself, and was easily one of my best life experiences. Met so many people, did so many weird things, never slept, never stopped. You havent lived until you onsen naked on a hot slab next to a naked sumo.

Go forth!

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

not gonna google "onsen". the context in that sentence is enough

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  13. mr usneun

mr usneun Senior member

The real problem is, does solo-travelling work if you are introverted, like I (may be) am.
    If I do this, I just think I walk alone from spot to spot etc. I am social but I don't walk to people and ask them something, you know what I mean?

14. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

onsen is a japanese hot spring or day spa. Very much a part of the culture, i wish it was the case in US. You have a membership to a hot spring, go and chill hard, then work 18hr days.

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Onsen are freaking awesome. Spent a few of my days in Japan in the mountains above Nagano alternating between eating, sleeping, exploring and relaxing in the onsen. Sitting in the hot springs with snow all around is something that must be experienced. They are all over Japan; Tokyo, for instance, has many onsen that are like clubs/gyms/spas what have you. But traveling to 'take the onsen' in various places is a very Japanese holiday. They are typically sex segregated, and one always bathes nude (unless in a touristy place), so sitting with naked Japanese guys is de riguer. It is the way of things and not uncomfortable. I have not taken the onsen with a sumo, admittedly. Though we were able to reserve a private outdoor onsen so that my gf and I could enjoy it together. It is a very relaxing experience.

I have never experienced onsen 'in the wild' as it were; natural pools and mountain springs that one hikes to get to. That would be intense. Would love to do that sometime. HRoi, you should totally Google image search 'onsen' -- see some of these things.

~ H

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I mean, I am ridiculously introverted, too. But there are modes in which I prefer to have social interaction at home, and I do them when I am away, too. (disclaimer, I have often traveled alone, but not out of the country). I do, basically, just walk alone from place to place and am generally happy with that since no one is annoying me. I do a lot of photography, which I also prefer to do solo, so it is no big deal. If I were gone for a long time, I probably would need to find some english-speaking people just so that I could have a normal conversation.

~H

1 person likes this.
  17. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

Change of plans. Gonna end up in Miami instead since I'm trying to do some business while on vacation as well.
    The bright side is that I'm saving money since I'll be staying in my Aunt's empty house.

The NYC trip is a definite must in the near future though, especially since I did so much planning for it already.

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

if you need any Miami recs, let me know

19. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

Sure, I'll be glad for any that you have.
    Any recs for Ft. Lauderdale and Pompano Beach would be appreciated too.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Tough to do. Tulum is kind of overrun with well-off yoga hippies, no?