1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Solo traveling, anyone here ever done it?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by noel_esq., Mar 4, 2013.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Love that country. I get 4 weeks off a year and if I blow 2+ weeks on 1 trip early in the year, I am shit outta luck for the rest of the year. I want to take a month long trip around SE Asia and hit up all of those countries.
    (plus..I am meeting up with a chick from Aust for part of my trip.)

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i sort of do. i go on a lot of business trips and always stay behind after the other mofos have gone and do the solo thing for a few days. to be honest i much prefer being with my wife and sometimes i'll ask her to meet me after the business part of the trip. but with wife > solo > traveling with anyone else

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Couldn't you just have visited the CE Forum and saved yourself a bunch of money?

1 person likes this.
  4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

just booked a 6 week backpacking trip. traveling solo for 5 of them

[​IMG]

4 weeks in western Europe

2 weeks in central america with a couple overnight stays in Seattle and Houston

CA -> EUROPE -> CENTRAL AMERICA -> CA

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:worship:

6. amberr

amberr New Member

Yep, try it. Thats always great experience. The only advice i can give u and it always works is to be open and don't strictly follow the plan. u gonna have the time of ur life i promise :)

7. ctkim

ctkim Well-Known Member

Travelled to Southeast Asia for 2 months solo. One of the best times of my life. You don't have anyone to weigh you down, and you can do whatever you want. Do it!!!

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Often, especially if you're sociable, you'll end up tagging along with people anyway. Being in groups is a great way to cut down on costs. Shit, even just meeting people at the airport/bus station/taxi stand can be a good way to save some dough. When you're staying at hostels, everyone else is there to do the EXACT SAME SHIT you're doing, so its real real easy to just get a bunch of people together to do whatever it was you were planning on doing solo.

1 person likes this.
  9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Including ladybois? :smarmy:

10. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

I've always traveled by myself. Recent trips included Mexico (that was a little awckward, since it was at a resort and there were couples and families everywhere [EDIT: I started in Cancun, where this is very typical, but had more fun in Tulum and Playa]) and Asia (China, Thailand).

I never had any problems traveling by myself, and I met many interesting people when I got off the beaten track. It would be nice to go with travel buddies if possible, but you get a very different experience traveling solo.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Where did you go in Mexico?

12. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

Cancun, then Tulum and Playa del Carmen and small fishing village called Punta Allen, a 2 hour drive through unpaved jungle roads. I recommend the latter destinations, especially Tulum, for the more adventurous traveler.

The typical Cancun resort feels like Disneyland.

In Tulum it's possible to rough it in campgrounds on the beach, or spend the night in luxury beach cabanas. It's also popular with backpackers.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

How did you get there? Those are middle-aged folk vacation spots for families and the like

14. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

I flew to Cancun, then rented a Jeep at the resort and drove to the other towns.

15. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

I would say that about Cancun. I thought it would be nice to get away and relax but I hated it. Imagine buffets full of fat tourists stuffing themselves with mediocre food.

I almost forgot, I took an excursion to Cozumel by ferry. I stayed at a condo away from the city center. Also relaxing and some beautiful snorkeling, but boring.

16. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Tulum is gorgeous, but full of crunchy hippies who annoyed me.

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Just got back to NY from Thailand this morning! Great traveling solo! Even with the adventure that I had getting back home due to weather(HK), delays, luggage problems, etc.....I would not trade this time in my life for anything!

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Tulum and Playa are EASILY accessible by ADO bus from Cancun.

www.ado.mx

sadly true. still a nice spot for a beach/ruin excursion though.

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Oh yeah, I'd go back... But I'd probably try to stay somewhere that was expensive enough to keep the hippies out.

20. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

Due to the time I'm getting vacation, I'll most likely have to travel alone. My initial choices were between Miami, Caracas, Chicago and New York.

I settled with New York since it seems like the easiest city to walk out of all of the above. I'm looking to stay in a hostel (Ideally in NoHo) and I'll see how it goes from there.