Solo traveling, anyone here ever done it?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by noel_esq., Mar 4, 2013.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

The nice thing about travelling alone is that it forces you to talk to people. Be open to options and do a few things on a whim. You will end up in some interesting places and if lucky, still in possession of both your kidneys.

lefty

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Yeah. I got drunk and watched a cockfight. Woke up the next day thinking how stupid I was.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Thailand is great solo, especially if you make it out to one of the "party" islands. Locals are friendly and fellow tourists are approachable and typically outgoing. HK is pretty much the exact opposite. Went there solo right after HK and it was like night and day - never felt so alone and insignificant before.

Im headed on Europe backpacking trip for all of April. Will meet up with a friend in Paris for a week - should be a nice change of pace.

In general, the bigger the city, the more difficult it is to travel alone.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Yeah man...Thailand is great. I can't wait to get there. Great country and Bk is also a great city to explore.
    Have you been to Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia? They are on my hit list!

See above..you went to HK after HK?? You mean after BK...no?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

haha, yeah went to HK after thailand. 2 hour flight but a world apart.

havent been to vietnam/laos/cambodia. i have a coworker who is vietnamese but doesnt want to go back. :fu:

why are you going back to Thailand if you havent visited the other 3 countries?

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Love that country. I get 4 weeks off a year and if I blow 2+ weeks on 1 trip early in the year, I am shit outta luck for the rest of the year. I want to take a month long trip around SE Asia and hit up all of those countries.
    (plus..I am meeting up with a chick from Aust for part of my trip.)

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i sort of do. i go on a lot of business trips and always stay behind after the other mofos have gone and do the solo thing for a few days. to be honest i much prefer being with my wife and sometimes i'll ask her to meet me after the business part of the trip. but with wife > solo > traveling with anyone else

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Couldn't you just have visited the CE Forum and saved yourself a bunch of money?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

just booked a 6 week backpacking trip. traveling solo for 5 of them

[​IMG]

4 weeks in western Europe

2 weeks in central america with a couple overnight stays in Seattle and Houston

CA -> EUROPE -> CENTRAL AMERICA -> CA

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:worship:

11. amberr

amberr New Member

Yep, try it. Thats always great experience. The only advice i can give u and it always works is to be open and don't strictly follow the plan. u gonna have the time of ur life i promise :)

12. ctkim

ctkim Well-Known Member

Travelled to Southeast Asia for 2 months solo. One of the best times of my life. You don't have anyone to weigh you down, and you can do whatever you want. Do it!!!

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Often, especially if you're sociable, you'll end up tagging along with people anyway. Being in groups is a great way to cut down on costs. Shit, even just meeting people at the airport/bus station/taxi stand can be a good way to save some dough. When you're staying at hostels, everyone else is there to do the EXACT SAME SHIT you're doing, so its real real easy to just get a bunch of people together to do whatever it was you were planning on doing solo.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Including ladybois? :smarmy:

15. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

I've always traveled by myself. Recent trips included Mexico (that was a little awckward, since it was at a resort and there were couples and families everywhere [EDIT: I started in Cancun, where this is very typical, but had more fun in Tulum and Playa]) and Asia (China, Thailand).

I never had any problems traveling by myself, and I met many interesting people when I got off the beaten track. It would be nice to go with travel buddies if possible, but you get a very different experience traveling solo.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013