1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Solo traveling, anyone here ever done it?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by noel_esq., Mar 4, 2013.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I'd imagine there's got to be some place upscale enough around there that there aren't too many hippies around. I'd hope so, anyways...

2. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

I have to agree with RedLantern about facing serious introspection in a foreign country.

Personally, travelling alone is the best way to go. I met my wife and best friends this way, spent 6 years in a wonderful host country, and have had a far richer life than I ever would have imagined.

The freedoms and trials of solo travelling are addictive.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

If you are comfortable in your own skin then solo travel can be great. Go where you want when you want, without concern with whether someone else is having a good time.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yes, it works very well. Similar to Huntsman, I'm extremely introverted, but if needed, can be social. I prefer traveling alone and do so often within and outside of the country. These are mostly business trips, but I usually take a few days extra, especially if outside the U.S. I even meet my colleagues there rather than travel with them, and once there, I never spend my free time sightseeing and whatnot with them. Never.

I love going where I want, when I want, and dressed the way I want. Will be in Taiwan in a couple of weeks or so and Italy a few weeks after that, and, of course, traveling solo.

Of course my personal trips include family, and that's fine, because, well, I enjoy doing things with them, and because they know to allow me ample "space" for doing things on my own.

5. noel_esq.

noel_esq. Senior member

i almost forgot I started this thread, in the past 3 months, i've solo traveled to Albuquerque and NYC. Both experiences were amazing and completely different, funnily enough I ended up meeting a female at the airport on my way to my destination on both occasions, the New Mexico lady was a Greek yoga instructor and the NYC lady was a in marketing.

I plan on at least two more solo trips this year, one to San Diego or SanFran and the other to Portland.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

headed solo to New Orleans on Monday. had a southwest flight that i needed to burn. looking forward to it. still need to make reservations :fu:

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

in my younger years (95 then again in 99) I solo travelled the hell out of the US. 30 day Amtrak unlimited travel pass, my backpack, a few hundred bucks in my pocket, and really not much else to get me around but my wits.

Some of the best times of my life. Everyone should do it.

8. JanC

JanC Senior member

Planning on doing just that to Portland. Coordinating schedules with other people is such a pain that sometimes entire trip plans fall apart.

That said, anyone have a rec on where to stay in Portland? Anywhere it'll be easy to meet some strangers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  9. 1969

1969 Senior member

McMenamins is possibly a good middle ground between the hostel and Ace.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You don't look a day over 80.